The Contender

Post comics.
Dan Santat

The Contender

Post by Dan Santat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 am

I've always read this section of the forum but never contributed. I've never shared any of my comic stuff to anyone till now which is funny because I'm actually doing a graphic novel for Scholastic and I've never done one before. In any case, this is a short story that I was trying to do as a webcomic for my site which I've had to put on the back burner because of a huge pile of deadlines I have for other projects. Anyway, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:47 pm

Sweet. Is there more?

I love the shots of the hands and how you render things. The aged paper is a nice touch, too.

-Seth
Image Image

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:21 am

Woah, I'm very much intrigued. Not much I can say here except for the fact that it's vague, but it's a preview duh. :) Papa Gabriel looks like he'd be named Geppetto.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

lhrybyk

Post by lhrybyk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:23 am

Definitely pretty great. Love the first page layout. Your style has rumblings of John Romita Jr. who I grew up loving, so I'm an instant fan of yours.

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks, thanks and thanks! Seth, I have the whole story outlined but it's just a matter of getting it drawn. Since I have 4 different projects going on right now it's hard for me to find time on this little side project of mine

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:48 am

This reads great, Dan. I'd love to see more as well.

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:10 pm

I like it. I like how you start out from the father's perspective. It really draws you into the story.

willmj

Post by willmj » Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 am

This feels like the real thing... if I could save in a favorite area this one would be one! Big Claps from Wales!

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Sat May 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Wow, thanks guys I'm quite flattered. :o Now, I guess I have to get off my ass and tell the rest of the story

Mac McCool

Post by Mac McCool » Sat May 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Dan?! You mean you're gonna leave us hangin' like that?!?

The images are sweet, and I have a particular liking for the rough border edges. Clearly marking off the panels, yet very sketchy too. Maybe the acting in the last two panels could be richer, and you could adjust the height of the characters (in those same last 2 panels) to hint at the bullying by the intruder by setting him a hair higher than the coach. Still, I enjoyed the use of the close-ups -- very expressive and representative of so much more about the characters. Cool!!!

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri May 16, 2008 12:29 am

This comic is rad. I want to read more!

I totally dig the guy with the mustache that extends straight across from his sideburns. AWESOME.

One quick little thing, I think you meant to say "his clients" instead of "this clients" on page 3, or maybe "this client" singular instead of plural. "This clients" doesn't really make much sense to me, so I'm guessing it's a typo. Just watchin' out for ya! Keep up the awesome work.

When is your Scholastic GN coming out?

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 am

Woody- Thank you so much for spotting that typo. I'm pretty bad about that stuff. Right now my graphic novel at Scholastic is an open deadline. They wanted to shoot for a release for Fall of next year but there's no way that's gonna happen. Depending if my editor can get moving then possibly fall the year after that? maybe earlier?

Mac- Always nice to hear from you! I will continue this strip and update on this post whenever I get the chance.