Louie

Post comics.
JakeKalsbeek

Louie

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Here's my attempt at creating a single panel per page comic one panel at a time on a regular basis. I wanted to start creating comics every day. So I came up with this all ages story that I call Louie. I've posted the first three pages. I'm already working on the next page. Comments and critiques are welcome.

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:10 pm

i like where its going, can't wait to see more.

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks KidVideo I hope you like the rest. Louie and Squishy's story will take around 200 panels. At least that's how many thumbnails I have. I've got a long way to go. Here are the next three pages.

lhrybyk

Post by lhrybyk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:41 pm

This stuff looks great....and interesting...though obviously I have no idea whats going on. How large are the panels when you draw them? What made you think of this whole panel a day deal? Is it enjoyable to do?

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks lhrybyk. I draw on a 9x12 Strathmore Drawing pad and the actual panels are 6 7/16"x 9 11/16". That panel size is as large as I can go so it still fits on my scanner and scales down to 5"x7.5". I've entertained thoughts about self publishing it in a 5"x7.5" manga digest size when I'm done just for fun.

I started Louie because I love comics and the best way to get good at something is to do it on a regular basis. I got some longer format stories that I've been playing with and the only way to even come close to my vision is to get good at comics. I went with the single panel format because it helps me break down the comics medium. This way I can really think about the story and not get carried away with fancy panel arrangements. I'm trying to focus on showing the reader one thing at a time and keep things simple.

And besides the usual suspects of Jeff Smith, Hayao Miyazaki, and Bill Watterson I've also been really inspired by willmj's Eekeemoo , Nate Piekos's Atland, and Kazu's work. Seeing those stories unfold has been a lot of fun and helped give me the kick in the pants that I need to start telling my own stories.

Is it enjoyable? Heck yeah! It's tons of fun. There are so many problems that I have encountered that I've never thought about before. It's helped me see my weaknesses in my storytelling, my drawing, and my inking. Drawing and comics for me is a weird combination of escapism from and communication with the world and I just love it.

k-9lives

Post by k-9lives » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Interesting start, are you posting all of this here at the forum or on a site/blog?

Good luck and Keep going.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.k-9lives.blogspot.com

andrew fulton

Post by andrew fulton » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 pm

Looks great so far, Jake.

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Keep it up. It seems like an interesting exercise.

-Seth
Image Image

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks for encouragement guys.

K-9lives- I have been doing both, posting them here and on my site. Unless you guys boo me off the forum I'll continue doing that. Part of the reason I'm creating Louie is just to exercise my comic muscles and nothing exercises comic muscles like the good feed back I get here. I'm still posting on my site because it is a little easier to read the entire thing when they aren't mixed in with comments and my mad ramblings.

Here's the latest.

Read the entire story here.

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat May 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Here's panels 10, 11, and 12.

willmj

Post by willmj » Thu May 08, 2008 1:14 am

This is great Jake !! Big thumbs up from over on this west coast :D

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Mon May 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks Will!

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat May 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Here's the latest.

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat May 24, 2008 8:26 pm

One thing I've already learned from Louie is that I should have familiarized myself with my main characters more. The Louie of these early panels jumps off model a lot. It isn't super obvious but it sticks out to me. I've thought about going back and doing some redrawing but I decided against it. I've learned that lesson and I'll move on from here.

As always critiques are always welcomed.

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:45 am

I ran out of time last week and didn't get to post here so here are two weeks worth of comics. What do you guys think about the little white outlines around Louie's hair when he is in front of a black background? Is there a better way to do this so Louie's hair doesn't disappear into the background? What's your solution to this problem?