Eclectic Comics

Post comics.
andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Preview of cover for issue #2 of Eclectic comics.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 am

This is for an upcoming issue of Fun for Kids magazine. The whole issue will have the theme of "Reading Fun" and my assignment was to create a comic strip with that theme. I really think it's the best thing I've ever done for them.

My lettering will never be great, but I think this is my best lettering ever and I owe it to the voice of Joey Weiser that was ringing in my ear: "Draw those words, dont' write them." Son of a gun, that really does help.

One of the thing I like about working for Fun for Kids is that they buy one-time use and I retain rights of my work. I will also put it in a future Eclectic comic. But the traditional size format is bigger! I stole a trick from the old newspaper comics and the top panels on every page are expendable. I like what they add, but the comic works without them.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Since school has started, it has been TOUGH to find time to make comics! Finally got a three-pager done today. Without the intro panels of the Mystic Yak, it will appear in a future issue of a kid's magazine. I add those panels for it's future inclusion in Eclectic Comics.

Question: I got a new scanner, and scanned the same way I always have. The image seems more pixellated than usual. Why would this be?

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:34 pm

nice, nice. Concerning your comment about lettering a few posts up, I think your lettering fits the mood and style of your comic nicely. I guess just keep it consistent. I like doing my own lettering, and I try to keep letters consistent, but yeah, imperfection never hurts. Andrew, I feel the same as you, I wanted to start working on a comic this semester, but I've just been real busy. Hopefully I can start it next semester, or at least over winter break.

keep it up.
Image Image

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:43 am

Eclectic Comics #2 is in the process of being printed. It can be ordered online at

http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/advan ... 5e&x=0&y=0

now, although no preview images are up there yet. It's going to have a color (both inside and out) cardstock cover this time.

This comic was for an anthology that was proposed but never published. The idea was to have several artists make stories that had to do with a box -- the contents of which would never be revealed.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Eclectic Comics #2 can now be ordered from Ka-Blam. Preview images are up at this site:

http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/produ ... ts_id=1515

Image[/img]

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm

Latest story. This is for Boy's Quest, a kid's magazine, but will also be in a future issue of Eclectic. I really like how it turned out.

What I like about it is that the details are true. I obviously had to consolidate and invent dialogue, but the fires, the chicken -- all true! Edison is a person who inspired a lot of myths, but I found a book that sorted out the false. He still was an amazing person. Any teacher would probably NOT have wanted to have him in class, and he did burn down his father's barn, several places of employment and really did get blown across the room in one of his childhood experiments. And can you imagine a kid in school catching a chicken with a fishing line from the second floor?! What this story means to me is that there is potential in every child, even the ones who drive us nuts!

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:07 pm

My latest blog post is a behind-the-scenes look at how my comics come together. Not that it's the "right" way, but it's how it works for me at this point.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:57 pm

My latest comic:

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:57 am

I created this quick one page comic and made copies to handout at a teacher inservice I was presenting a while back. It was our first activity -- an icebreaker. My goal was to get teachers thinking about how it can be so easy to want to just approach our classes with an objective and try to yank them out of where there thoughts currently are. Even teachers sometimes have their minds on other things! Are there some times when we can make good use of what our students are obsessing about as a writing or drawing prompt?

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:25 am

My latest drawing is an homage to Steranko. I'm as big a fan as these kinds of things as anyone, but there's certain images that are getting really over-used in this way. This is one of them, and my sketch is a statement about that more than anything.

It will be the spot art on the next Mighty Mailbag -- the letters page for Eclectic Comics.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Cover design for issue 3. The ink drawing is done. I'm trying to color it with Photoshop, but thought I would make a color sketch in marker first.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:46 pm

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:48 pm

wow, i always enjoyed reading your comics..they always have such personality to them..but that cover you did..WOW, i would love to see alot more colored stuff from you. It really brings your work to a new level. I don't think that i've seen anything you've colored other than that.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks, Kid Video -- I appreciate the feedback. I love working with color with traditional materials -- markers, paint, colored pencil..... Trying to do it on computer intimidates me, but I'm trying to overcome that.