Guy In a Dinosaur Costume:A jouney, a hero, and stuff (crit)

Post comics.
Bocaj

Guy In a Dinosaur Costume:A jouney, a hero, and stuff (crit)

Post by Bocaj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 pm

I feel bad for making a thread about my comic, but, I'm going to do it for three reasons:
1.) I want my comic to be seen (I'm not going to lie to myself about that).
2.) I want to make my comic better. I'm currently not afraid to try new things with my comic. I want to experiment with different styles.
3.) A lot of the people who have given comments on my comics I feel our biased (usually because I read their comic as well). I want an opinion from an outsider.

So my comic is Guy in a Dinosaur Costume. It has since about the second strip (it is currently on #9 (it isn't my first webcomic)) been going on a plot line parodying the Odyssey, very loosely.

This is my comic in which I have transitioned from MS PAINT to Photoshop (a big deal for me), and I am still just learning photoshop's many features.

Please give as much criticism as you want or feel is necessary.

Thank you.
(Link in signature.)
Last edited by Bocaj on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MG

Post by MG » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 pm

First off, don't feel bad about posting the thread, that's what the forum is for!

As for the comic, you need to get the fundamentals of drawing and design down. Everything's rather sloppy, and the colors are really bright. This is obviously a stylistic decision, but as Bill Watterson once wrote, "you need to know the rules before you can break them" (or something like that). Practice basic drawing skills before tackling a stylistic approach. Work on your Photoshop mastery, and avoid things like crappy resolution, misuse of gradients, and fonts that don't match the drawing. And don't be lazy with things like backgrounds and panel layouts. Are you drawing with a mouse? If so, don't. Draw by hand and scan it into the computer, or get a Wacom tablet if you can afford it. Also, read "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud.

That's my advice, for all it's worth. Hope it helps, sorry for the long reply.

Bocaj

Post by Bocaj » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks!
Also, just to put things in perspective as use my comic as a way to learn. I do not consider my comic to be the end all, I try something new every time.

About what I do. In the most recent comic I drew it by hand, scanned it in, and then traced it with a tablet and mouse in photoshop. I only recently started making backgrounds and semi-interesting layout, but the point about layout I really agree with. I'll try harder with that.

Also, your point about learning the rules first was a interesting, but I'm not sure if I quite grasp it. If I am interpreting you correctly, do you mean to draw with more realistic anatomy?

That is an interesting thought, although a big thing for me to take on. I personally view all of my characters very abstractly, and when I think visually I picture human anatomy in chunks and as a whole it being awkward. I'll try to incorporate some attempts at more realism with my characters.

Also, were you saying that the colors were too obtrusive? I'm not sure if that is what you meant. Personally I am liking the vibrant colors, but one other person asked me to tone it down a bit (which I did (a little)).

Again, thank you very much, every little bit helps!

MG

Post by MG » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 pm

When I made the "rules" comment, I meant that if you learn how to draw realistic anatomy, you can better exaggerate it and exploit it to suit your needs, however abstract they may be. Depending on your goals, that may not be necessary, but it will make you much more successful in any comic work you do. Realism is something I really struggle with, but the better I become at it, the better my cartooning has become.

Also, application of basic graphic design concepts of perspective, balance, color, etc., are important. And speaking of color, I personally am not a fan of the really bright colors, I think they clash a bit, but whatever floats your boat.

These are all concepts I'm working on in my own comics, hopefully you'll find them helpful as well.

Bocaj

Post by Bocaj » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Well, I tried to experiment with slightly more realistic anatomy. I made Hermes, the God, look more human than most of my characters. Well... He is at least exaggerated in different ways
Here is the comic:

Also, I made this one by sketching it in pencil, than tracing it in Photoshop.

I also understand if you aren't a fan of random humor, personally, I like it.

kiolia

Post by kiolia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:16 pm

That totally should have been a mussel in the last panel.

Bocaj

Post by Bocaj » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Oh, yeah, I actually fixed that (as well as a few other things) in the version I put online...

That was my first reaction when I saw the mistake, too...
I may have to do something similar, but... nah...