Womens Tennis is Awesome

Post comics.
Tyler

Womens Tennis is Awesome

Post by Tyler » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:34 pm

Really.... it's super duper awesome. :o

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:42 am

This is absolutely awesome! At first I was a little taken back by the yellow (pretty intense!) but it grows on you. Great stuff.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:15 am

Great sequential work, I enjoyed this a lot.

Wei2k

Post by Wei2k » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:01 am

Super duper awesome :) those panels rocked.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words fellas, much appreciated indeed!
:D :D

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Great job at showing the back and forth action and speed of a game of tennis. Do I detect a manga influence? Cute figures.

willmj

Post by willmj » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:28 am

This is really great! I love the split panel effect and the way you smash the edges of the panel to create the energy! it makes me long for summer! Big Claps from Wales! :D

tpiro

Post by tpiro » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:20 am

Great pacing with the different size panels.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 pm

andrewwales wrote: Do I detect a manga influence?
Yep, there's some of that in there. I try to go for a sort of hodgepodge of eastern and western cartoon styles.

Thanks everybody!

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Hahaha, great stuff. All that work just for 15-0! There's a metaphor about illustrating/making comics somewhere there.
--Joe.

AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:37 am

Wow, this is great. I've been dying to see some American done Sports comics. I'm hoping someone will do soccer soon, but tennis is my second favorite sport. The color is intense. The breaking up of the panel into shards is a great technique for displaying the screaming. You can see the sound which is what comics are all about. The small panels are nice, and I like shot choice because the up angles and closeps at the appropriate times help express the one on one intensity of tennis. It's a total head game. If you do more in the future I'd like to see how the two characters handle the pressure differently. That way we can see some interesting internal character development. Of all the sports I've ever played, I think this sport brings out character the most which makes it perfect for comics.

hmm, maybe I should read Prince of Tennis.

andrew fulton

Post by andrew fulton » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:46 pm

I started reading this and I initially got this horrible feeling it was going to end with some horrible upskirt nonsense, and I am incredibly glad it didn't. (I imagined somekind of Beavis and Butthead reading of 'heh-heh , women's tennis is awesome, heh-heh). Maybe that says more about my expectations of the internet than anything else.
Anyhow.
I really like the strip, once I decided the colour wasn't nearly as horrible as I first thought. Your pacing and panel layouts are great, really adding to the flow of the game. Some of the poses seemed a little bit static to me in comparison, they didn't seem to have as much energy as the rest of the strip would seem to imply. For example the panel where the lady in green bends back for the 'raaaa - unnnghh!!' doesn't seem to be an extreme enough build up for the follow through.

I would love to see more like this, these things where there isn't really a story or a joke, but just being about the motion, the experience. I want to say 'motion study' but that seems a little to dryly academic. Does anyone even know what I'm trying to say here?

Anyhow, nice work!

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:54 pm

andrew fulton wrote: I really like the strip, once I decided the colour wasn't nearly as horrible as I first thought.
:D

I would love to see more like this, these things where there isn't really a story or a joke, but just being about the motion, the experience. I want to say 'motion study' but that seems a little to dryly academic. Does anyone even know what I'm trying to say here?
Yep, I catch your drift. I think the reason you don't see more of that sort of stuff is the length of comic necessitated by the subject matter. 5-10 pages is not a length that fits well into any preestablished publishing media; too big for newspaper, too small as a stand alone book. This is one of the reasons I like the Flight project so much, it offers a venue to publish these smaller projects.

brandoabba

Post by brandoabba » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:36 pm

Great work! I really enjoy the color schemeof it all. It brings forth alot of emotions

marco

Post by marco » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:53 am

great stuff!!
marco-magallanes.blogspot.com/