Mal and Chad: A New Comic Strip

Post comics.
pH

Mal and Chad: A New Comic Strip

Post by pH » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:39 am

Here are five strips of my new comic, Mal and Chad. I'm doing it five days a week for my college newspaper.

I'm not planning on doing newspaper comics when I grow up, (the internet is killing the newpaper industry, and I'm afraid of evil syndicates) but I am learning a lot from doing newspaper comics. Specifically, how to be economical with your space and choice of words, how to work fast in the face of a deadline...

If you guys have any suggestions for the direction of the strip, or how to make it better, that'd make me really happy.

Thanks for reading!

Og

Post by Og » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 am

Actually, it's really charming, and the writing is strong. I already like the main characters, and that's quick. You'll do well if you can grab a cynical old artist that quickly.

You're already off to a real nice strong start, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it as the year goes on. I've seen what happens to people who do these strips every day, and you'll be surprised how good you'll get in the course of a year.

Roll on, and GOOD LUCK!
ImageImage

Andre Szy

Post by Andre Szy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:32 am

Wow i really enjoyed reading these. In my humble opinion, your little story here really seems worth continuing. You really seem to have the knack.

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:25 am

Hey, this is really good. The art is pro, tidy, and generally strong (I just don't like the non-anatomically-correct way the adults are drawn, but I guess that's a stylism.) Most importantly, the pacing is good, the characters are interesting, and it's funny. Funny how many strips forget that last part. It's a winner. Where do I find more?

pH

Post by pH » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Wow, thanks for the feedback guys!

Cameron: Yeah, I can draw some nice stylizations of the human body, but I've never been good at proportion. Perhaps I will focus on trying to make the adults as iconic and appealling as the children are.

As of today, there's another six strips that you haven't read at my site, doodlealley.com, and by tonight, seven strips. Just click on the banner below.

Thanks again for the comments! Any feedback helps.

Og

Post by Og » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:53 pm

pH wrote:Perhaps I will focus on trying to make the adults as iconic and appealling as the children are.
Good call. I'd look forward to seeing that.
ImageImage

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:20 pm

I like this too, it's cute and charming and i wanted to read more when i finished these. :)

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:08 pm

That is excellent. Keep it up!!
Remember to breathe.....

neil

Post by neil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Very nicely done! You've grasped a lot of the nuances of good strips. Don't stop. 8)

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:16 pm

The one where the mom hears the dog talking is my favourite. In a perfect world newspapers would be filled with comic strips as clever and interesting as yours instead of... well, you know. :)
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

willmj

Post by willmj » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 pm

Love the teacher strip great stuff! :D

radiomouse

Post by radiomouse » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:59 pm

Really really nice, great character designs and writing. It kinda reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes, which means I could read an entire book of this stuff. Robot and talking dogs...really can't go wrong with that. Keep up the great work!

pH

Post by pH » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 am

Thanks Guys! The feedback is very encouraging.

It makes me want to try harder!

dreamquingue

nice one

Post by dreamquingue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:58 am

Just Love it... waiting for a publishing :P eheh carry on the good work :) :mrgreen:
Are You the Dreamer... or just part of the Dream?

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Fantastic! I've never seen a college newspaper strip that good.

I actually like that your adult characters are not in "correct" proportion and are unappealing. I thought was part of the message.

My only criticism is that in a couple moments I was thinking it was a little too much like Calvin and Hobbes. I wouldn't change anything with the strips as they are, but you might want to be careful as you go on about that.

You have a lot of original concepts and the art is great.