Crowll

Post comics.
meiwren

Crowll

Post by meiwren » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Hey guys, here's a story I've been working on for several months.
(I'm so happy it's finally done)

Any c&c is welcome.

You can start looking at it here...

http://www.crowll.org/crowll/001/001.html

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-meiwren

Ah, a friend advised me to show a preview, so here it is.

Last edited by meiwren on Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:33 pm

oh wow! There is a lot of really good stuff here I am surprised no one has said anything... the art looks really nice and clean and the backgrounds are great, especially that establishing shot on the first page. I also really liked the graffiti that was on some of the walls in town, that was a really nice touch.

Visually the art and storytelling are pretty good, especially your action/fighting scenes. However I was a little confused about what a Vandal is and what a Vagrant is, but I assume that I will eventually find out more when this story unfolds (I hope you continue with this)
i knows it's spelled wrong! i'm just alphabetically apathetic

http://www.tylersaurous.com

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:02 pm

I would agree with the above. Personally, I think that this is basically a manga style and it doesn't read as very original but that's a taste issue i have.

BUT, I think that this is incredibly professional looking and your skills as a draftsman are simply impressive. Your storytelling is very effective in setting a world and the characters. I fear that in time they may be one dimensional, because they are now, but there is obviously a lot left of this story and I hope that the people you're writing have a richness that reflects your visuals. Stay away from typical roles.

Also, the only production note that i have is that in your large areas of black i can see the lines of the ink. Really, a little tipping of the contrast a bit higher will wash that out and give you a nice clean black. Are you greytones done in marker or cut tone paper?

And PS, keep going.

meiwren

Post by meiwren » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Tyler: Thanks so much for the feedback. Eventually there will be explanations to exactly what is going on in that story, so for now, sorry to leave you in the dark.

TmDurn7: Yeah, I can't deny that my works look like the manga style and I'm happy that wasn't enough for you to overlook the comic.

I'll remember your advice as I work on this project.

BTW, the greytones are done in photoshop with my own patterns since it's just easier to edit.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:16 am

hi, i really like this. :) Especially the first few pages.

meiwren

Post by meiwren » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 am

Ah, sorry for the old dig up, but it seems more organized to put everything on one post.

Here is the second chapter~
Enjoy!

http://www.crowll.org/crowll/002/001.html

DA version here:
http://meiwren.deviantart.com/art/crowl ... 1-76787306

Daystorm

Post by Daystorm » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 am

That looks great! Nice work!

pH

Post by pH » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:04 am

This material is very tight. You should consider sending a proposal to Tokyopop. The two chapters you have on your website were better than a lot of the stories I've seen coming from Tokyopop.

Good job!

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 am

As someone who has never been a fan of the manga scene I actually really dig the artwork. It's really.. fun - and the inks and backgrounds are solid. I'll give it a better look over a little later today.

Very nice job overall, I'm looking forward to see where this all goes. :D
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

meiwren

Post by meiwren » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Daystorm: Thanks! =)

pH: I'd like to work on this full-time so I have thought about comic publishers. I've done a little research for the potential companies out there like Dark Horse or whatnot to see how their vibe is but I haven't gotten too in-depth with it. I have a job I love already so I'm in no rush to go and hunt down publisher.

The weird thing about Tokyopop is that I haven't seen too much variety in the books they put out. That's not the only reason for my reluctance to go with them, but I'll just say I'm a little wary of them.
I think it's best to just self-publish, although it's a lonely experience. =\

Harry Myland: I'm not much of a fan of the manga scene these days either, but I grew up with it so my style is theirs ...thanks for the comments. =)

Bocaj

Post by Bocaj » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Right off the bat I want to say that I really like it. My suggestion is about the layout. Putting buttons on the bottom of the picture would help a lot. After every page I have to scroll back up. It is just a little annoying, but it should be an easy fix.

lynnticular

Post by lynnticular » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:24 am

This is really amazing stuff. I think that you do a really good job of capturing a lot of the fun of a manga style. About publishers, I would recommend going to one like dark horse, which you mentioned, first because tokyopop isn't the best company to work for from the people I know who have. Supposedly, they only pay you $10K a book, which isn't that much. O_o And their size format is really bizarre and annoying to work with, haha. Also, some of my friends have had issues with them being really excited about an idea at first and then sort of petering out, so I'd recommend trying them last. They're still a great company to get published through, because hell, it's PUBLISHED, but there's some extra annoyances with working with them from the people I know who have. :) Just passing on the industry gossip!