Kissybook Project - Call for Submissions!

General Discussion
madigan

Kissybook Project - Call for Submissions!

Post by madigan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:45 am

Hi, my name's Kim :) I am of the Radarfriends and am in art school. I hear you people like to... draw.

Well, I'm currently doing a big collaborative illustration book project called the Kissybook, link below.

Right now I'm looking for illustration submissions. Here's an excerpt from the webpage describing the project for those of you who might be interested:
The Kissybook is a not-for-profit open illustration book project to comment on love and identity.

The goal is to create a lighthearted illustrated book exemplifying that love can exist between everyone despite all facets of identity, gender, race, sexuality, cultures, and other differences, using kisses as a universally recognizable as a symbol for affection.

Book form makes the project compact and easily distributable, as well as inviting to flip through -- flirty and welcoming, just like a sweet kiss!

While the book itself is curated for publication (for obvious economic reasons!), there are even more drawings online for an even more encompassing experience. Kissybook is not a contest! Every kiss has its place.
If it's your cup of tea, please come check it out! :) This is gonna be x-posted all over the place, so feel free to link it if you have friends who would be interested!

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:05 am

Sweet, and I'm just in the mood for making something silly like this.

One question though
The publisher will automatically refuse material that has been previously published. This means that all submissions should be original and new material.
Does "published" include personal websites, forums and online galleries (like DA) ?

Oh and if we're feeling specially inspired, can we submit more than once, don't think there was any info about this on the site.

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Amazingly charming! I'll definitely submit something :)

madigan

Post by madigan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Does "published" include personal websites, forums and online galleries (like DA) ?
Yes, unfortunately. This is mainly just to avoid legal troubles (just in case) because I just want to be absolutely sure that people are not ganking or stealing other people's drawings and submitting them to me. You can, however, after you submit your entry, put up your original drawing wherever you'd like. That way, if someone does indeed steal your marvelous entry, I will have a double and catch them in the act!
Oh and if we're feeling specially inspired, can we submit more than once, don't think there was any info about this on the site.
There isn't a limit on the number of submissions. They'll all go on the website. Doubles in the book are very unlikely though, we want as much variety as we can get!

I'll put these questions on the FAQ. They are good questions.

Joltz

Post by Joltz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:35 pm

I really dig this idea. I'll definitely contribute!

neil

Post by neil » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:54 pm

This is mainly just to avoid legal troubles (just in case) because I just want to be absolutely sure that people are not ganking or stealing other people's drawings and submitting them to me.
If you're just trying to avoid the legal consequence of that, you can probably do so without refusing to reprint anything. Just have the contributors agree to expressly warrant that they are submitting their own material, not restricted by any other agreements, and to hold you harmless in any related lawsuit. It's pretty boilerplate stuff for any licensing agreement; I'm sure you can find suitable language somewhere. And you should probably be doing it anyway...

Of course if your anthology is 100% fresh material, that's an asset in itself--but it might be interesting to see what a wider net might catch.

Anyhow, it's a good theme! Good luck!

madigan

Post by madigan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:27 pm

Thanks for the advice Neil. Once Reading Week is over, I'll probably have to find a law student or someone at the local university to check over that whole page for me. For now I'll look that section over and maybe add a clause stating what you suggested.

Personally, I kind of do want 100% new material. One image hopefully isn't too much to ask? :) There are a lot of little colour and size stipulations that are established to keep the book unified as a whole piece, so having to manipulate old work to suit those needs might be tricky as well :\ Though if accepting previously drawn stuff would encourage more submissions, maybe I should consider that?

madigan

Post by madigan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:30 am

Bump! The deadline is very very soon, I've gotten some submissions from the Flight Forums already, thank you :) Hope to see more!