Any Manga Classes in the Irvine California Area?

General Discussion
Stick
Flight Moderator

Any Manga Classes in the Irvine California Area?

Post by Stick » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:12 pm

I receieved a question from someone who wishes to take classes on how to draw Manga and if there were any classes in the irvine california area. I didn't know, since i'm not around there, but i decided to take a shot and ask anyone here if they knew of anyone giving classes which might actually deal with manga on some form. The thing is he's only 13 years old apparently, so he's not able to take up any university class things. Any help is appreciated. :)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:04 am

I grew up in Irvine, but I don't know of any manga art classes there. :|

AmericanNinjaX

Post by AmericanNinjaX » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:16 am

The closest I could even remotely suggest would be the Gnomon School in Los Angeles. But their classes aren't geared towards Manga as a style, more a sequential art program.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:34 pm

oh well, it was a shot in the dark anyways. thanks again kazu and americannijaX!

Mac McCool

Post by Mac McCool » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:04 am

The Illlustration degree at CSU Fullerton offers two classes in sequential art. In the beginning class (junior level), the scope includes, but is not limited to, mangas. Students also learn about minicomics, funnies, alternative comics, "mainstream" comics, eurocomics, webcomics, gallery comics, and even picture books. The goal of this class is to give good visual foundations in multi-image storytelling. The advanced section (for seniors and graduate students) lets students practice and fine-tune their skills with personal projects. Justin Ridge, a CSUF grad and Flight contributor, recently drew the Avatar minicomics included in the 2nd season DVD set (check out Ridge's Avatar sample pages on the Nick Mag blog!). In fact, Flight is often mentioned in those classes! Surprise, surprise! :D

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:28 am

Mac McCool wrote:The Illlustration degree at CSU Fullerton offers two classes in sequential art. In the beginning class (junior level), the scope includes, but is not limited to, mangas. Students also learn about minicomics, funnies, alternative comics, "mainstream" comics, eurocomics, webcomics, gallery comics, and even picture books. The goal of this class is to give good visual foundations in multi-image storytelling. The advanced section (for seniors and graduate students) lets students practice and fine-tune their skills with personal projects. Justin Ridge, a CSUF grad and Flight contributor, recently drew the Avatar minicomics included in the 2nd season DVD set (check out Ridge's Avatar sample pages on the Nick Mag blog!). In fact, Flight is often mentioned in those classes! Surprise, surprise! :D
the problem is the person who wants to know about the classes is only 13 years old.. Unless they don't mind someone his age coming in, though it's something i doubt. :(

thanks alot though mac Mccool!

neil

Post by neil » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Yeah, I think he's probably not ready for a degree...

This may be no help, but I often see local drawing classes for kids advertised on the bulletin board at the public library. And a cursory google search revealed some public library manga clubs... You can also check with local art supply/craft stores, which often have flyers up for this kind of stuff (sometimes they even have classes on site).

I hope it works out!

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:43 pm

hey, thanks for the help neil! i'll tell him to try those routes!