Animation/Comic Book Suggestions

General Discussion
Coffee and TV

Animation/Comic Book Suggestions

Post by Coffee and TV » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:25 am

I received a large Amazon gift card for Christmas this year and I need some ideas for how to spend it. I'm already purchasing this and Alison Bechdel's Fun Home. What are some 'must-haves' for someone pursuing a career in animation?

cornpone42

Post by cornpone42 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:33 am

I mean, if you're looking for a good read, check out Chris Ware's "Jimmy Corrigan" or Michael Chabon's "The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay".

There's a ton of stuff out there worth reading. I'm saving for Jeff Smith's collected "Bone" as well. I think it was almost picked up by Disney, but they wanted the Bone characters to be voiced by children and there was some sort of disagreement following the comic's intent versus Disney's market.

Also, there's a collaborative edition of "Mirror Mask" done by Gaiman and David McKean that follows the story boarding of the movie, which was fun to check out, I always dig the behind-the-scenes look (though parts of the movie completely baffle me).

Otherwise, though addicted to them, I know nothing about creating a cartoon, so if you're looking for career-helpful suggestions, well, um, I'm not very helpful.

:oops:
If one does not have the capacity to say something beautiful, then they do not have the capacity to say something true.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:44 pm

For animation, I also recommend these books:

The Illusion of Life

Paper Dreams

Bill Peet: An Autobiography

And the Art Of books of pretty much every animated film are excellent additions to the library. My favorites are the Studio Ghibli books, which are not available on Amazon. In addition, the storyboard books that Ghibli puts out are incredibly informative, considering that Miyazaki and Takahata's storyboards are practically the key frames of the films.

The more I think about suggestions, the list goes on. Books on animation and graphic novels make up the majority of the stuff I own. :D

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:28 pm

The Richard Williams book is great! Lots of insights and inspiration.

You might also like Masters of Animation, which is a sort of survey book of animators and films.
Brian
ImageImage

Coffee and TV

Post by Coffee and TV » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:57 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went ahead and bought The Animator's Survival Kit and The Illusion of Life. I hope to grab a few more as soon as funds allow.

Once work dies down I'll hopefully have some time to start some serious sketching again.