Anime in Flight

General Discussion
Charlie the choo choo

Anime in Flight

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Now, bare in mind i'm not a fan of anime.

But I gotta ask why is there no anime in flight. My guess is that anime just tends to follow one pattern and that most artists really look the same when drawing it, hence cutting down on originality. Am I right?
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Amy Kim Ganter is more or less American manga artist. Her more recent work feels more manga "inspired" than actual manga to me, but I think that is definately a good thing.

http://www.felaxx.com/

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Amy does have manga style inspiration (she uses some of their storytelling conventions), but at the same time has a style all her own.

Once someone gets used to reading mangas, different artists and their styles really start to pop out. I will not mistake Tezuka (Astro Boy) for Miyazake (Nausicaa), or Junji Ito (Uzumaki) and Kaiji Kawaguchi (Eagle, Zipang).

And seeing the amount of subjects mangas actually tackle, compared to american comics, saying there's a lack of originality sounds a bit...off, if I may say so.

As a side note, having grown up with European books, I used to look at american comics as being all drawn in the same styles. Then I found Groo by Aragones, Elfquest by Pini, and I realised there was a much wider choice out there.

It's perfectly allright if you don't like anime though, it is not a critique on your tastes :) Me, I'll pretty much read anything if it has a good story. Like this one: "The Long Unlearned Life of Roland Gethers"- a story in which the characters are seen from so far away, they appear as dots
http://www.pictopia.at/images/longshot_1_excerpt.gif

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Speaking of Amy's art. You can see a Q&A interview, and a lil' tutoral by her in a book called "Mangaka America".

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:11 am

"Anime" is Japanese for "animation". "Manga" is Japanese for "comics". There's definitely no anime in Flight but there sure is plenty of manga (it is what all my Japanese relatives call what's in this book).

Not to sound like a stickler, but I think we're all very equally influenced by plenty of Japanese anime and manga (in fact, most people think our biggest inspiration is Hayao Miyazaki, a god among Japanese anime directors). And I do know what you're saying, Charlie, but I think we'd like to push the idea that cultural influences are not necessarily a genre.
Last edited by Kazu on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:01 am

You might not catch it, but Akira Toriyama, creator of many awesome Japanese comics, and most famously known for "Dragon Ball," is one of my biggest influences ever!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. There are loads of manga/anime fanboys/girl and my school who tease me for reading american comics, one of them even said that One Piece was better then Watchmen. So I'm kinda annoyed with manga/anime, but I don't mean to be rude.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:08 pm

No rudeness felt, all is well.
Ah, the petty wars of "my book is better than your book". All silly really. I can understand that comments like that can be annoying though.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 pm

My book is better than your book. :P

Seriously, though, I'm not as well-versed in comics as a lot of the people here, but my general feeling is that each cultural style has its various strengths. Also, especially now, you see a lot of cross-pollenization between different cultures in animation and comics, which in my opinion makes things more fun.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:35 pm

Yes, don't let the manga vs. comics wars taint your reading experiences. In the end it's all a matter a taste, it's like arguing whether Mexican or Chinese food is better. Either you like it or you don't! =P

I'm looking forward to the future though, the more cultural influences for comics the better, including European comics. I think there's positive things to learn from all styles and genres, as long as you draw what you honestly enjoy to draw it's all good. I'm really big on supporting your natural inclinations in art, even if it's deemed cheesy or lame.

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:33 pm

The "manga is better then comics" arguement is annoying. It's just as annoying to the "It's not manga, since it's not Japanese" arguement. I mean you always hear it... American stories such as RE:PLAY and Dramacon can't be manga, since it's not created by Japanese artists. Then again, these same fans don't seem to have a problem with calling Korean comics, manga. How can Rebirth and Ragnorok be manga when they are created by Korean artists? It contadicts their statement that manga is suppose to be created by Japanese artists.
Last edited by Joseph Park on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Og

Post by Og » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:36 pm

Ganter wrote:I'm really big on supporting your natural inclinations in art, even if it's deemed cheesy or lame.
If you're looking for lame and/or cheesy, look no further. I'm the Lame Cheese King! :twisted:
ImageImage

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:54 pm

Joseph Park wrote:... Then again, these same fans don't seem to have a problem with calling Korean comics, manga...
I thought the term for Korean mangas were Manhwa or something (?)
Aw man, can't we all call them sequential stories or drawn books and be done with it?
(and my thoughts echo Ganter's)

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Charlie the choo choo wrote:Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. There are loads of manga/anime fanboys/girl and my school who tease me for reading american comics, one of them even said that One Piece was better then Watchmen. So I'm kinda annoyed with manga/anime, but I don't mean to be rude.
Just out of curiousity, charlie, where is your school generally located and how old are your schoolmates? I'm just asking cause I often wonder what type of people from wherever community read whatever type of comic. It's a shame to see people reading or avoiding content solely on the style of it's art. I'm sure you and your classmates can appreciate all styles of comics by looking for something you like in the right places.

Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:03 pm

gau dog wrote:
Charlie the choo choo wrote:Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. There are loads of manga/anime fanboys/girl and my school who tease me for reading american comics, one of them even said that One Piece was better then Watchmen. So I'm kinda annoyed with manga/anime, but I don't mean to be rude.
Just out of curiousity, charlie, where is your school generally located and how old are your schoolmates? I'm just asking cause I often wonder what type of people from wherever community read whatever type of comic. It's a shame to see people reading or avoiding content solely on the style of it's art. I'm sure you and your classmates can appreciate all styles of comics by looking for something you like in the right places.

High School, all years.