24 Hour Comics Day

General Discussion
O

Post by O » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:48 pm

I'd like to go too. I'll be getting to SB around 2:30 or 3:00 on Sat, if anyone from that area is planning on doing only a 12 hour stint and can mesh schedules. I'm 'poolin with a friend so I wont have a car...even if I owned one. :? If anyone can let me know--if not I'll just have to do it at my girlfriend's house and put up with bug-eyed stares from her roommates.
"...footballs of entagled centuries would burn out in the sparks of bubbling light waves."
--Kazimir Malevich, 1918

Batalla

Post by Batalla » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:38 am

Good luck to everyone participating. Make sure to promote the Flight Anthology for those of you heading down to the comic stores. Hope to see some of you where I'm going.

Veleno

Post by Veleno » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:28 pm

Hm...now that I've checked on yahoo maps, it seems I won't be needing a ride after all. The shop is within walking distance of my friend's house. :D

RobotHero

Post by RobotHero » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:55 pm

I wasn't able to arrange an event for my comic collective, but a few of us will be doing our own things seperately. (And not at the same time, because a lot of them work this weekend.)

So, what are good ways of confining the story? Because I can't just sit down and go, "Now I get inspired."

I've seen 24h comics that started with one line of dialogue, like "What has happened to my oil barrel?" and then everything was based on that. What would be a good source of little improv sparks like that?

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:20 am

It's quarter after six in the morning and the adrenalin has kicked in! Six and a bit hours in and I'm still rockin out! I wish I could say the same for the plot of my comic! The drawing hand was cramping out so I'm taking a break and posting here. Where's the sugar? Shoooooooooo-Gar! SSSHhhhhhhOOOOooooooGGGgggggggAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!!!

Ah man, there's an awsome idea right there: Sugar Zombies!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:19 am

hehe, I once thought of coffee zombies. Where really strong coffee was spilled in a graveyard and all the corpses needed caffeine and not flesh. Local beatnicks and coffee house pseudo-intellectuals were devistated...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:26 pm

I'm about 6 pages into my comic and I think I'm already starting to lose my sanity. So apparently, I am now taking a break from this and posting inane messages to message boards...

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:37 pm

Tell me about, as optimistic as I am, there's no way I'm polishing off this thing in 24 hrs. My left hand is numb so I'm typing entirely with my right while it 'thaws'. Then I'm going back at it.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:46 pm

Even though the comic I'm drawing is only 9 pages long, my problem is mainly that I'm trying to meet the same standards of my previous couple of short stories, as these are all going to be printed up together -- I don't want this particular comic to look sloppy at all.

...and I don't even want to think about putting colours to this thing.

Joel

Post by Joel » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:49 pm

Man....I'm doing two 12 hour shifts, and I'm both excited and disappointed....I have no idea how I'm going to get 24 pages done in tomorrow's shift. I'm just drawing too slow or something...
The good thing is that I drew eight really solid pages today in 12 hours, and that's incredible for me!

I'm really excited about sharing the retarded results with you kids....I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants...

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:05 pm

Joel wrote:Man....I'm doing two 12 hour shifts, and I'm both excited and disappointed....I have no idea how I'm going to get 24 pages done in tomorrow's shift. I'm just drawing too slow or something...
The good thing is that I drew eight really solid pages today in 12 hours, and that's incredible for me!

I'm really excited about sharing the retarded results with you kids....I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants...
Cool Beans!

And maybe your cranking out eight pages in twelve hours is a good thing. Maybe this means you are spending too much time on the pages you have done before...or that you need to trust your instincts more.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:22 am

It's done! My back and left hand are in pain and I'm going to bed! Congrats to all who gave it a shot and went the distance. Unfortunately, I only made 11 pages but I'm pretty happy with them, it ends with a kind of fun cliffhanger. I'll have to post it later. Now what was I doing, oh yes!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :D

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:02 pm

my boyfriend and I participated in this too~ it was fun. I didn't do a 24 hr comic but just worked on my usual stuff. I got a good amount of stuff done compared to usual~ it was fun~ =D

check out my photo essay

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:23 pm

It looks like you had a lot of fun! The guys at my local comic book shop had a 24 comic thing going on. But there were only 3 people participating. (Boooooo!)

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:04 pm

Eric wrote:It looks like you had a lot of fun! The guys at my local comic book shop had a 24 comic thing going on. But there were only 3 people participating. (Boooooo!)

There were four at the shop I stopped by at. Things looked a little crowded as is.