So...what's your TRIBE?

General Discussion
briantaylor

So...what's your TRIBE?

Post by briantaylor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:11 pm

So just curious....

For those of you who have read Making Comics by Scott McCloud, what "tribe" (underlying philosophy about comics) do you think you fall under?

Classicists, Animists, Formalists, or Iconoclasts?

Myself, I'm mostly an "Animist" and a bit of a "Classicist". For me stories, storytelling and characters come first above all else. But I also strive toward creating compelling works of art, as long as that art is in service of the story.

-Brian

Og

Post by Og » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Nice topic, Brian.

I guess I'm similar to you. By Scott's definition ("the animist wakes up every morning and asks his characters what they want to do") I am mainly an animist. I actually do ask my characters what they want to do next.

But as he suggests that most people have a foot in more than one camp, I have a good bit of Classicist in me. That is, I care about the aesthetics of my work, even if I'm not there in terms of draftsmanship. I aspire to Classicism, perhaps.

(McCloud interview / cribsheet HERE.)
ImageImage

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm

I would definitely be considered a formalist, as I'm mostly concerned with experimentation and seeing how art can interact with the medium. I've never really liked traditional approaches to comicking, though, so I'd probably also be considered an iconoclast. However I think it's also true that any good graphic artist should draw from all four basic areas, and that each camp should be seen as simply different emphases rather than opposing or incompatible ideologies.

Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:04 pm

What the difference?
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Well, here's a real brief overview...

"Classicists" focus on craftsmanship, excellence and mastery over the art of comics.

"Animists" focus on characters, stories and effective storytelling through comics as a storytelling medium.

"Formalists" focus on the form of comics itself, figuring out what the form is capable of.

"Iconoclasts" focus on honesty, authenticity and showing the truth of something, warts and all, using comics as their voice.

All of us probably focus on all of these goals to some extent. But each of us usually has a focus...one ideal that burns the brightest to us personally. For a more in-depth look, read Making Comics. It rocks.

-Brian

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 pm

Here's McCloud's Diagram:

And here's mine.

The Classicist leads.
The Formalist does machines.
The Iconoclast is cool but rude (give me a break).
The Animist is a party dude.

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 pm

Animist trying to forget Classicist training.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Ha ha ha, I love your diagram Dresden!

Making Comics is a brilliant book with many wonderful things in it, but I'm not particularly convinced by the tribes theory. I had a hard time fitting myself into any one category- I'm sure I'm doing some of each in each comic. But if I'm freezing my butt off in the cold and I *have* to pick a campfire to sit around, I guess I'll go with Animist. The story is the most important part to me. Also, it just sounds cool. Who wouldn't want to compare themselves to a slightly mysterious shaman who only comes out of his hut once a week to regail listeners with bizarre and nearly-believable tales about the intersection between the human world and the world of magic?
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:37 pm

I honestly don't like the system either. In fact, right after I discovered this a friend and I decided to make a more accurate and useful system, namely a grid instead of four static "schools of thought."

The four quadrants are still sort of similar to what McCloud has, only instead of basing them on personal influence or motivation, we ordered them by a combination of what they emphasized (art vs. writing/content) and how they approach it (experimental vs. traditional).

I added some webcomics on the grid to kind of give an idea of how it works.

Blom

Post by Blom » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:00 pm

My work (if I count bouth stories writen and comics made) count of dragons, mice and animals, humans, so I will say it´s hard to say one way. So I have to say for my part that when it comes to comics I am expremental. When it come to what I write (are making my first childrenbook, hope to get it published next year) I think of myself as more classical or traditional storytelling with focus on the story. But I do also hope that I can make the images in it and then I will focus on creating images that both hold some traditional and focus on both art (the traditional childrenbook-style-art made on the draditional way with paint...) and the storytelling. So that will put me some where around the traditional line on the narrativist part of the line toward content.

I think I come down to traditional with focus on content...

This is like the hat who send you into the right part of the school like HP..
The four houses that has diffrent ways of thinking and doing... and the pensil is ouer wand.... :roll:
Tor Harald Blom

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Dresden Codak wrote:I added some webcomics on the grid to kind of give an idea of how it works.
But... but... then I'd prob'ly be right next to Penny Arcade! :cry:
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:58 am

Hehe. Well, it's important to note that quality is independant of where you lie on the grid. For example, I really don't like Questionable Content or PVP, but Dr. McNinja would also be in the same region, and that comic is six kinds of awesome, and would never be mistaken for the others.

chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:43 pm

I think I'm toward dead center. I usually am, though. I use both sides of my brain, and I'm sorta gender neutral, since I'm a chick that goes for masculine subjects...

I don't know why I'm not ambidexterous, though. <.<

Ainsley Fish

Post by Ainsley Fish » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:05 pm

I really don't know what I am. I suppose that I am an animist. But on Dresden's chart I am clearly on near the border of an experimentalist and and a deconstructionalist

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm an animist who is also a wanna-be classicist. My characters give me reproachful stares when I'm not giving them anything to do.

Good, solid artwork, color, and composition are the first thing that grab my attention in a comic (classicist); but good, solid characters, setting, and story keep me reading (animist).
"Once, there were only wilderkin..."

Persona Animus