Here goes nothing!

General Discussion
smaragddrache

Here goes nothing!

Post by smaragddrache » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Alright ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to make a huge plunge. I am going to apply for a half table for APE. I'm excited, but I'm also terrified. I have to create a logo for my little comics studio, actually finish the comics, and bring a BIG bowl of cookies. Not to mention all these things about sales permits and government things. Any tips for the newbie? :lol: I'm kind of scared because I work at a comic book store, and am surrounded by such lovely things. Except the Flights. They are never in the store because I always sell them as soon as they come in! :wink: (They are beautiful too, don't worry) It's just hard because I see how many people are out there and I'm not sure if there's room for me too...

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:31 pm

Sales permits? You need sales permits? I don't have one of those...
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:46 pm

Dealers (people selling someone else's creations) need sales permits. Artists (selling their own creations) usually don't have them.

However, California does everything weird, so I have no idea what the rules are there.

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:03 pm

Yeah, apparently APE requires everyone have a sales permit, even people that are selling their own stuff. Yes, California is bizarre.

chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:09 pm

My only tips are to be organized with your display and everything you do, and be friendly and happy, even if you must caffenate yourself stupid. The most miserable thing in the world at a con is a sad, tired artist moping at their table. Bring a friend or two or three to help if at all possible.

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:38 pm

Good to know... no moping. I can bring one friend in free, but that's all I get for a half table. But that should be helpful. However, I'm still unsure of how many things to bring... if I should have freebie things to give out, like bookmarks or something, or how many books I should bring. I don't want to inundate people with crap, but I don't want them to forget me either. I need to kind of get an idea early, so I know how much less food I'll be buying in the next six months...

chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:04 pm

You should have at least one freebie item (as in one type, not just one) with your URL or contact info. It's better if this is a moderately useful thing so they won't take it 'for your sake' and throw it away immediately. I usually use bookmarks since you can print millions off at Kinkos for cheap.

Having some variety in what you're selling is good. It's hard to juge numbers if this is your first time at the con, though. Think of it as a learning experience and don't worry too much. Expect to sell nothing but take enough in case you do have a good business day. Don't take more than what you and your companion can keep up with, though. Remember you only have a half table, which is not very much space.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:59 am

What moderate success I've had at the few (3) cons I've been to suggest it's a good idea to have a small number of options for things to buy- such as two or three different comics- of varying prices. That way you can sell your really good (more expensive) stuff to those willing to pay for it, but they have an option for the cheaper one if they're unsure about you or they're on a budget.

Also, bring food to eat. Also also, be prepared to make change for people.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:02 pm

Oh yes, invest in a cash box if you're going to do this more than once.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:55 pm

And don't worry about sales permit, they are pretty easy to get. It's the whole income tax thing afterwards that may give you headaches

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 pm

Urgh... income taxes... oh man. I saw on there "Projected Monthly Income". I actually laughed. I understand why it's there, but it's just funny because I'm going to have to put down something like... $10? I'm going to be using this permit for two days. And I know I'm going to pay for it with paperwork up to my eyeballs. What we do for love!

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Good luck, smaragddrache. I'm going in with some friends for a table too. I'm planning on mostly promotion for the online strip, and selling prints and sketches. Maybe I'll see you!

I need to work out the permit stuff. I'm not sure if I can get one down here in San Diego which is valid statewide, or if I need to wait and get one up in the Bay Area just before the convention.

Do any of you Flight folks attend APE?
"Once, there were only wilderkin..."

Persona Animus