New to the forum... and any suggestions about scanners?

General Discussion
smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:55 pm

Okay, so I just scan it half and half? And just stitch the two halves together? Or scan individual panels and put them together?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions... just comic art production is new to me... I can make stretcher bars for a canvas in a half hour, but this scanning business might take me a bit... :oops:

neil

Post by neil » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:16 pm

smaragddrache wrote:Okay, so I just scan it half and half? And just stitch the two halves together? Or scan individual panels and put them together?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions... just comic art production is new to me... I can make stretcher bars for a canvas in a half hour, but this scanning business might take me a bit... :oops:
Well you can do it either way. Scanning it in 2 distinct halves and making it all line up when you stich them together can be a little time consuming... Instead I try to group as many panels together as I can in each scan, so that the "seams" run through the panel gutters instead of the linework itself. (Of course if the page is one large image with no divisions, you can't avoid this.)

I was talking to a graphic novelist/cartoonist who's been famous and acclaimed for years, and he's only just now got one of these large format scanners... So it's an inconvenience that most of us have to deal with.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:13 pm

If you can't avoid stitching panels back together (I can't seem to), registration marks are very handy.
Draw them in before you scan, then make sure they line up exactly afterwards so that you can avoid blurry bits on the overlap seam (you've probably got to erase a bunch of stuff at the edge of the page on top, as scanners stretch things out right at the edge).
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

kyubikitsy

Post by kyubikitsy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:15 pm

OMG~ thanks for that great tip!
I'm not sure why something like that never occurred to me before! :oops:

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:17 pm

Hey, that page looks really nice, Jonathan. :D

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:18 pm

yeah, the registration marks are a really good idea. Thanks!

Now to just get off my butt and ink the stupid pages...

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:44 pm

Kazu wrote:Hey, that page looks really nice, Jonathan. :D
:oops: Eh-heh- Thanks! I should post some more stuff here some day. But I've been ridiculously busy lately with all sorts of non-art things so I don't have much to show yet.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image