Wrist/Hand Pains

General Discussion
Joey

Wrist/Hand Pains

Post by Joey » Thu May 25, 2006 8:00 am

Hey I've got a question for everyone...

I draw a LOT, especially lately, and other than that I'm pretty much on the computer. Starting about a year ago I've been having wrist, hand, and finger pains that gets better and worse depending on how much I'm working. I bought a wrist brace that I use for the computer, but I can't really wear that when I'm inking...

Anyway, some of you are animators and other kinds of professional artists who probably draw even more than me, and have to use the computer a lot as well. Any tips? What do you do to prevent this kind of thing? 23 seems kind of you to start developing arthritis and carpel tunnel, and I'm pretty worried about my future :shock:
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Blom

Post by Blom » Thu May 25, 2006 10:41 am

I know the problem, the first thing is, relax the moment it start hurting. If not you get stuck with the pain. But there is alot you can do to stop it, and that is using your hands to do other things. Here is a great list of fun, and some usefull things to do when you that sort of pain.
-Juggeling is very good, it helps both hand rist and arm. Learn new stuff all the time and you get to be a good juggler to ;) ( I juggle every day)

- Playing using other sports like handball is also nice, but then you have to have others around you. But it´s fun. :D

-Take a walk in the forest, then you get to use your hands to grabb and hold things, that is also good for getting inspiration and balance. Find some people or walk alone. ( I have Fangorn forest 100 meters behind my house I found out today... that was fun!)

-Washing up by hand. Sound strange but having the hands in warm water and working with them helps alot. And the other in your house will give you a big star for doing work in the home. ;)

-Get a siliconball that you get at shops to squece to help build your strength in your hands.

- Relax! DON´T overwork....

Hope it helps!

Blom ;)

ed brisson

Post by ed brisson » Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 pm

This is a publication for musicians (PDF), but a lot of the information is transferable.

There is also this PDF on making sure that your computer station is ergonomically friendly. It's worth a read if you are on the computer for more than an hour or so a day.

I have some other publications on MSI and Carpal Tunnel around here and can dig them up if you need them.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 27, 2006 8:08 am

Thanks for the advice guys! I've also been talking to some other cartoonists, and they've given me a few hand excercises to do to strengthen my tendons. Ha ha, one guy's advice was to take up playing the Bass, but I don't know if I can go that far :P
Visit the Tragic Planet!

JoePotato

Post by JoePotato » Wed May 31, 2006 10:33 pm

I did custom art framing for about 6 years and after joining all those frames I was pretty much cured. I'm not a muscular man but rarely get pains in my hands. Anyhow, I give framing the credit. That and maybe milk.

No pain no gain, eh?

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am

I got more problems with sweaty or shakey hands... :shock:

Shakey hands while inking is most annoying. :(
Mostly I try to sit a bit more relaxed or take a break,
get a cup of tea or something else that relaxes. :)

JoePotato

Post by JoePotato » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:54 pm

Maybe your tea is too strong. :lol:

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:12 pm

ROFL, It isn't! :lol:

(or...well...pherhaps too much sugar?....um...)

chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Ew... I hate the shakes. I usually do something else until my hands are more "stable." Hand shake comes from muscle fatigue, low blood sugar, too much caffeine... etc.

One of my friends gave me some squishy microfiber pads to put under my wrist. One's a small one for your mouse pad (hard to use with my wacom tablet/mouse combo, but I try) and the other is a long one for your drafting table (which I tend to forget to use).