SHE DRAWS COMICS: Opening May 20 at MoCCA, NYC

General Discussion
goRaina

SHE DRAWS COMICS: Opening May 20 at MoCCA, NYC

Post by goRaina » Fri May 19, 2006 10:30 am

http://www.moccany.org/exhibit-shedraws.html

Tomorrow is the gallery opening of SHE DRAWS COMICS, an exhibit featuring the artwork of over 50 female comics creators, past and present.

WHAT: SHE DRAWS COMICS:
100 Years of America’s Women Cartoonists
A celebration of female artists in comic books, strips, political
cartoons, graphic novels, manga, animation, and more!

WHEN: Saturday, May 20 2006
Reception starts at 7:00pm
WHERE: Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MoCCA), NYC
594 Broadway • Suite 401 • Between Houston & Prince

COST: $15 non-members / $5 MoCCA members for the opening

Most of the exhibit's pieces from the first half of the century come from the personal collection of Trina Robbins, the author of such books as A Century of Women Cartoonists, The Great Women Superheroes, and Nell Brinkley and the New Woman in the Early Twentieth Century, and the writer of Image Comics' GoGirl. She will also speak about her decades of comic book experiences.

The show, on display at MoCCA through November 6, 2006, includes artists as varied as Nell Brinkley, a pioneering feminist cartoonist of the turn-of-the-century; Dale Messick, the famed creator of "Brenda Starr: Reporter," who wrote and drew Brenda from the 1940s through the 1980s; Marie Severin and Ramona Fradon, legendary women superhero artists of the 1960s and 1970s ; Robbins herself, the country’s first true female underground comic artist, who helped push forth the work of other like-minded artists in the 1970s; and the many women leading the Renaissance in graphic novels today, including Jessica Abel (Pantheon’s La Perdida), Sara Varon (Sweaterweather) and Tania del Rio (Manga-Ka).
-----------

More good news: the show is up until November 6, which means that anyone in town for the MoCCA Art Fest next month can see it when they are in town.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Fri May 19, 2006 11:43 am

Excellent news.
I may be able to squeeze that in on Friday June 9th, after a visit to another museum. Thanks for letting us know.

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Wed May 24, 2006 6:00 am

Raina posted a bunch of photos from the opening on her LJ:

http://goraina.livejournal.com/88568.html

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey guys, what's up? Not sure if you remember me, I met you at APE briefly. Glad the show went well! (I was about a coupla thousand miles out of the way, unfortunately...) Congrats on showing! :D

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu May 25, 2006 1:13 am

Very cool! I miss New York...

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 pm

Vince wrote:Hey guys, what's up? Not sure if you remember me, I met you at APE briefly. Glad the show went well! (I was about a coupla thousand miles out of the way, unfortunately...) Congrats on showing! :D
Hey Vince,
It was cool to meet you at APE!

Man time has flown by fast! Seems like it was just last week.