Per hour

General Discussion
Randy Dianogah

Per hour

Post by Randy Dianogah » Tue May 09, 2006 2:45 pm

hey guys. quick question:
so im doing a cd package design for a band and im thinking of charging them per hour. ive never done it this way. so my question is, how do most people get their clients to agree to do this? how do they know if you're lying or being honest with the hours? how do you get them to trust you? haha.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
-randy

kqeda

Post by kqeda » Tue May 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Usually you charge just a flat rate. Its art.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:36 pm

I agree...charge a flat rate everyone feels good on a deal like this. saves everyone from dispute.

Best thing to do is figure out how much time you think you will be spending on it and add a bit of time for roughs and revisions. Calculate how much an hour you think is fair and then multiply it by the time.
Chad Townsend

Randy Dianogah

Post by Randy Dianogah » Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 pm

kqeda wrote:Usually you charge just a flat rate. Its art.
i always charge a flat rate, but ive heard of other artists charging by the hour and im curious as to how they do it.
plus the person im doing this for is sometimes uncertain with his ideas, but i want to do the piece for the band since they're one of my favorites.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Tue May 09, 2006 5:05 pm

I think you only charge by the hour for open ended projects. For instance if you are doing character designs, you just keep doing more and more designs, you are never really done. Or if you are doing story boards.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Ask the client how much their budget is. If they don't know, and they want a quote first, then start doing the math. Back when I did freelance assignments, I charged 500 a day or 50 dollars an hour. This is a pretty standard figure for freelance artists and designers. If you're just starting out, I would drop the figure significantly, just to gain experience. Anyway, figure out where your skill level is at and your work experience, then set a rate for yourself.

After that, think about how long it will take you to do the assignment, double it (because something always goes wrong), and give them that quote. Remember to take into consideration the revisions when you quote them. I usually tell a client that the rate includes two revisions, any more and I would have to charge more. Sometimes I would take a job for much less than my standard rate either because they have very little money, or because I really want to do it (usually a combination of both). I would do the work very quickly for the low budget projects, or spend extra time if it's a labor of love.

bannister

Post by bannister » Mon May 15, 2006 1:00 pm

they trust you if you're acting professionnal and if you do your job well and on time. Simple as that.