SCAD

General Discussion
Greatnation

SCAD

Post by Greatnation » Fri May 05, 2006 9:08 pm

hey everyone,

I had a college visit planned over my spring break to go to the Savanah campus of SCAD. Unfortunetly, it was cancelled.

I was wondering if anyone in these here parts had any interesting knowledge of the school or the campus. Heck, it doesnt have to be interesting, anything about the place will be interesting to me =P

thanks.

jawa

Post by jawa » Fri May 05, 2006 10:56 pm

I'll be attending fall semester, I know some folks here have already been through several years there and can actually tell you something new.

bullett

Post by bullett » Sat May 06, 2006 12:45 am

I go to SCAD. You just need to really decide what it is that you want. SCAD is going to give you something really specific. If that is what you want then it should all be cool.

Right now indie stuff isn't that encouraged. It's pretty much superheros and anime. But we're working on it. Maybe with a few more good folks around we could turn the tides :wink:

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat May 06, 2006 10:18 am

Have you looked at RISD at all? 8)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun May 07, 2006 12:05 am

bullett wrote:I go to SCAD. You just need to really decide what it is that you want. SCAD is going to give you something really specific. If that is what you want then it should all be cool.

Right now indie stuff isn't that encouraged. It's pretty much superheros and anime. But we're working on it. Maybe with a few more good folks around we could turn the tides :wink:
I heard that there was a push going on towards more focus on Storyboarding. I don't know if that's true, but that's what the rumblings were all about when I left.

Anyway, I graduated from SCAD last spring. When I was there, there wasn't really much of a focus on any genre or area of comics. I guess it was geared more towards a "mainstream" sensibility with classes in Scripting, Penciling, Inking, Coloring...but it does help to break that stuff up a bit to focus on one thing at a time. You sort of could get a feel for what professors clicked better for you, and there were specialized classes for manga, or superhero, or alternative comics later on.

Things are always changing, so I'm not sure really what to tell you. First of all, there isn't really a campus of any sort. SCAD just buys up old buildings around Savannah, so it's sorta all over downtown.

Greatnation, are you considering majoring in Sequential Art (comics, storyboarding, etc)? If you are, just make sure you're REALLY dedicated to making comics. Comics can be a lot of work for little money, and SCAD is a pretty big investment. But I guess that can go for just about any college...

The fact that SCAD has a Sequential Art department was really it's selling point for me. Every year they have a Comics Art Forum where artists visit and give workshops, and each year they have Editors Day, where several editors from a range of publishers visit and give portfolio reviews. These opportunities can be very valuable. Also, just the fact that you are completely surrounded by other cartoonists is probably most valuable resource. That's something I'm definitley going to miss when I move away (stayed an extra year after graduation...)

When people ask me about SCAD, I just tell them that you get what you put into it. It's possible to float through, and waste your time & money here, but if you are really dedicated, the resources are here to make the most of them...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Mac McCool

Post by Mac McCool » Sun May 07, 2006 1:51 pm

Have you considered California State University-Fullerton's art school (in Orange County, between San Diego and Los Angeles)? Its alumns are getting jobs at Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Lucas Film, Disney Feature, Tokyopop, etc. Two former students are publishing in Flight (dik pose & IO). And look at the awards and prizes CSU-Fullerton art students are getting. It's very affordable because it's a state university (especially once you become a California resident). The teaching of sequential art is woven in the larger Illustration major so that graduates have more options and flexibility once they enter the work force. There is also a very dynamic Animation major, and many students take courses in both areas. And you're just miles away from San Diego (Comic-Con!) and Hollywood (world capital of the entertainment industry)! That's where I went! Loved it! Check the Fullerton Illustration website for more info.

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Mon May 08, 2006 9:02 pm

There's also the School of Visual Arts in NYC...they have a bona fide "Cartooning" program, with a bachelor's degree and everything, and you are right smack in the center of NYC's comics community--an invaluable resource!

http://www.sva.edu

I know there are a bunch of us on this board who went to school there!

Greatnation

Post by Greatnation » Tue May 09, 2006 4:13 pm

This has been super awesome everyone. I'm definetly looking in further to all of these schools.

Mac McCool

Post by Mac McCool » Thu May 11, 2006 9:51 am

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu May 11, 2006 12:04 pm

It's interesting being a fly on the wall for this topic. I went to ArtCenter for a little bit and still remain close to a lot of people there.

I'm just curious, could any SVAers or SCADers (even RISD people) sum up what the student experience was like? ArtCenter has a lot of good qualities, but I have a feeling its commercial leanings and quasi-military training is atypical for an art school. It would be nice to hear how things were like for other people.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu May 11, 2006 3:18 pm

Vince - My department head actually went to a conference out at Art Center...basically you guys are our #1 competitor in terms of design schools. I heard that your ID facilites outweigh ours completely, but I heard that in terms of design, the creativity over there is lacking. IE kids make stuff then slap 'Nokia' labels on it...like the key isn't to explore but rather to aim for a corporate portfolio. RISD is tough and the workload is intense, but we're encouraged even in the design realm, to push the limits and develop more in terms of the creative process rather than the final product.

Also just curious...what did you major in?

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu May 11, 2006 3:42 pm

Hm, from my experience at SCAD, I'd say it's sort of all over the place. It seemed to me like it was entirely possible to figure out and take the classes and professors that would make your life easy, and slide on through college without too much trouble. However, (if you knew what's best for you) the professors and classes that would really push you and help you out where it counts were available. It's really up to the students to decide how much they want to put into it...and how much they want out of it, for that matter.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

wikkidwikkid

Post by wikkidwikkid » Thu May 11, 2006 6:21 pm

hey, im a junior is hs (u a junior? senior?) i went ther emy spring break. totally loved the facilities and everything. for summer school, i've been taking classes at Academy of Art University, and i dont like it at all for college. great city and everything! but the hills arent fun when ur carrying huge portfolios and such. Buildings are thrown about the city, and thats how SCAD is. buildings everywhere (but i like their shuttle system) every building has a busstop and a bus comes every 15 minutes. Plus, they take you to grocery shopping, to hardware stores, walmart, so u can pick up supplies on the weekends for ur classes. Yeah. I'm REALLY gonan go there (even though fullerton has sparked my interest) My parents ar emoving out to South Carolina, i have relatives, which is perfect for me so i can drive up from savannah and see them on the weekends. Its only a 5 hour drive, so thats a plus for me.

Some of the downsides though are not being able to make it to my california cons like Wondercon, Ape-con, and Comic-con, but liek Joey said, they have forums when artists come and all that stuff. yep, im totally into that.

Oh yeah, and im applying to take seq. art too! I'm into both superhero and indie (and used to be a huge manga kid, but now im kind of moderately into manga). I wanna work as a storyboarder (phil craven, im following ur footsteps) and yeah, thats my rant. Hope it helps!!

-Jeremy

PS. If i think of any more stuff that rocks, ill post mor einfo (im pretty much just relaying what i heard on the tour anyways)

Walter Dickinson

NEW FULL-TIME COMICS PROGRAMME IN TORONTO, CANADA

Post by Walter Dickinson » Fri May 12, 2006 5:20 am

All:

I studied at the Ontario College of Art which provide zero in the direction of comic book art and cartooning, but produced several notable cartoonists.
These include Ken Steacy, Seth and Ty Templeton (see below). Others who attended for brief periods (one or two years) include Jay Stephens and Paul Rivoche. I have recently been helping to consulting in the development of a full-time programme in Toronto at a private school. Please read the recent press release below for details.

Cheers.

Walter Dickinson

Toronto, Ontario…May 10, 2006…Max the Mutt™ Animation School in downtown Toronto announced today that their school has just become the first in Toronto to be able to offer an in-depth 2-year diploma program in Comic Books and Graphic Novels. It is being called: Illustration For Sequential Arts: Comic Books and Graphic Novels. Students entering the program will have successfully completed Visual Arts Literacy, or will be able to show a portfolio demonstrating competence in the VAL curriculum.

“Students interested in comic arts no longer have to go south of the border to study,” explains Maxine Schacker, Director of Max the Mutt ™Animation School and originally a native New Yorker herself. “The new diploma is preparing students for several industries. In addition to the expected ones (cartooning, comic books and graphic novels) they will have the skills valued by the video game industry - character and environment design, cover art etc. They will also acquire the skills base for graphic design and children’s book illustration. What we are doing is updating illustration education so that our students will acquire drawing, painting, design and computer skills and know how to use them for several different industries that are excellent career options.”

Max the Mutt ™Animation School continues to keep ahead of the competition by always putting the needs of the students first when considering adding a new diploma program, and the school insists on hiring only the best working professionals in the industry to serve as faculty members. Ty Templeton, Dave Ross, Richard Pace and Bojan Redzic are just a few of the well-known names who are currently teaching at this school, and will be involved in teaching the new diploma.

Ty Templeton is an industry veteran creator who has enjoyed a successful career writing and drawing some of the world’s best-known comic books…Justice League, Superman Adventures, the recently released Marvel’s Spider-Man/Human Torch series, as well as tv-associated comics for shows like Ren and Stimpy, Bob Newhart, the The Simpsons. Ty will be joined by Dave Ross, another well-known international artist who has drawn for Marvel Comics (Captain America, and Daredevil) and DC Comics (Birds of Prey, JLA: Act of God), as well as Marvel Comics’ Avengers West Coast. Dave was also an artist for the series Rai at Valiant.

Richard Pace who is famous for his work on Terror Inc, Night Thrasher, Midnight Sons Unlimited, X-Men and The New Warriors at Marvel Comics, and for Starman at DC Comics, will be joining the faculty along with the professional illustrator, storyboard artist and character designer Bojan Redzic who has made a name for himself for over 16 years in the advertising, editorial and entertainment industry.

“Just as with our animation programs, all faculty at Max the Mutt™ for this new diploma program are top working industry professionals”, Schacker goes on to say. “That’s why we attract some of the most gifted students who are really serious about pursuing a career. Our students want to learn from the best in the business in a small-class environment and that is what Max the Mutt™ provides,” she adds. Our school is responding to the needs of students but also to the needs of the industry. We know what the industry wants and we are providing the appropriately trained graduates to meet their needs,” Schacker explains. “It’s that simple.”

For more information about Max The Mutt™ Animation School, its courses, programs and open house information sessions, call toll free 1-877-486-MUTT (in Toronto call 416-703-6877) or visit www.maxthemutt.com.

thedeafguy

Post by thedeafguy » Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 am

I'm currently in my last quarter as a SCADian, and I figured why the hell not, go ahead and tell everyone the truth about SCAD and then let them decide.

The Truth: SCAD only wants your money, thats it. Then they will sparingly spread that money uneveningly across the needs of the universities and a good percentage of it goes to the school president, Paula Wallace, whose not a nice person btw. The school lacks in certain areas, *especially the sequential arts* department, as if they don't take us seriously...?

Too short number of open hours at Norris Hall, the SEQA arts building. Most of the artists work nights, we have no choice, some of us have jobs/other classes/other things to do during the day. While you're stuck with a roommate, you'd go to your major's building for less distraction, however its only until I believe nowadays its 8pm on weekdays and 6pm on weekends.

The Shuttle System: Don't believe a single lie that SCAD tells you about their wonderful shuttle system, its crap. Especially at night time. Once when I was a sophomore with no car, I was at one of my buildlings, called for a shuttle around midnight. The Bus did not arrive until about 2:30AM. While I was waiting, I had called several times, every 30 minutes about the bus and the lady on the phone told me that the bus was on its way, "where on its way", I wondered, "from Canada?" Finally the bus arrived while a weird looking homeless man stood by me and stared at me for 5 minutes. Brr.

The Food in Dorms: During the summer quarters, which I did bc I was bored and wanted to do something, anyways, during the sumemr the food is great. You only have to cook for maybe 100 people thats staying in the dorms during the summer time. Great choices, great revolving order of food menus. However during the normal school quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring), you have over 1,000-1,500 students now. The food sorely lacks in taste and quality. Bad menus. Same thing over and over again with no variety...you get used to it though, however I recommend you go to the cafe' at Oglethorpe Cafe's, they're at least better.

the classes, itself if good for the most part. Depends on what you take. Depends on what you are required to take. I've had some of the best classes in my life, some where it had changed my perspective on certain things. Then again I've had some classes that have bored the living dickens outta me, and then there's one or two that have pissed me off with the professor's attitude and idiocy towards his class. Professors should know what they're talking about...half of em are hypocrites anyways.

Study abroad programs: Lacoste, Atlanta, E-Courses(internet courses), and soon Asia, we have some excellent studying abroad courses. I myself went to Lacoste, France for 9 weeks, for a quarter. Ever since I've found myself in arts, style, and technique. I'm not going to go into too much details, but I will say, go to France, it'll change the way you think about certain things, unless you are a sunny kid.

Sunny Kids...have no brains and just going to scad because your mommy and daddy have the money and you wanna go to an art school cuz its easier than UGA or something. I hate sunny kids, they lay at the pool in their bathing suits and never touch the water. The entire time!?! Who goes to the water proximity and doesn't touch the water? Sunny Kids. The jocks, the cheerleaders, and the top of the social ladder back in high school BUT they are on the bottom of that same ladder here at SCAD. Nerds, geeks, anyone whose been persecuted for their artistic mind and creative minds, behold, you are kings here at SCAD. There's respect here for you. No free sex but respect and honor. Personally, I would rather have the sex but geeks don't get sex unless its paid and bought for.

Achem....back to SCAD...well I think I'd covered it all? Oh yea, finally the workload. The question everyone's asking for. Hows the workload? Well my little friend, its long, gritty, hard, ball crushing stress, ingenious, and self gratifying if you'd made the "wall". Depending on your major, say Animation, look at living at Montegomery Hall, bring a sleeping bag; Painting, look forward to all nighters and bring coffee; Fashion, I have no clue, this is the sunny kids's majority major...; photography, look forward to long hours in the two dark rooms for only thousands of kids; and some others like Illustration Major, look forward to doing one image over and over again until you get it perfect looking or at least an A grade material; and last but most importantly, the Sequential Arts major, look forward to spending 8-16 hours a week on artwork in your freshman/sophomore years. Then add another 10 hours to your junior year. And then add about...8-10 hours a day for art creating time. Grad school, thats for later for I'm about to cross that line after the summer passes.

well, I hope this helps. I'm around if you have any questions. Enjoy and word of advice, don't be a sunny kid, its tacky, un-unique, and just wrong...wrong you sexy looking saucy minx but still an airhead.