Figure Drawing Classes?

General Discussion
arkadia

Figure Drawing Classes?

Post by arkadia » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the Orange County area (Southern California) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a place to take figure drawing classes. I tried google, but that didn't really help much. I assumed the best people to know would be artists themselves. I live near Newport Beach, so near there would be best, but I'm willing to travel a bit if need be.

Thanks for the help!

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:07 am

you could probably find a class at any ol' community college

goodluck!
-Justin

len

Post by len » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 am

That would be my recommendation as well.
Even the smaller community colleges often have figure drawing workshops.
UC Irvine also comes to mind of course (my alma mater).

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Hmm, even though I grew up in that area, I know very little about the local arts scene, and I don't remember there actually being any. There are plenty of great places in LA, though. Like Len and Justin, my first inclination would be to try out a community college (OCC, IVC) or UCI. From my friend's experience at UCI, I gather that they are way more into the conceptual fine arts than any technical drafting skills. If you don't mind the drive, heading out to Cal State Fullerton may be your best bet. I find that it's more important to find a community of young artists that are working at your level than it is to find a great instructor, and you may find that over there. Other places to go would be ArtCenter in Pasadena, or the Vilppu and Gnass workshops in LA. Gnomon also has some talent teaching there.

rajesh

Post by rajesh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:23 pm

CSULB has a life drawing class every Sunday at 4. You pay about $3-5 per session, depending on how many people show up.

1hr long poses only, so it depends on what you're looking for.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:30 pm

You could also check your local paper. They normally have a listing of current plays, concerts, art classes, gallery showings and so on in the art and entertainment section.

Mac McCool

Post by Mac McCool » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:36 am

The student-run Pencil Mileage Club at CSU-Fullerton has figure drawing nights and costume nights too. Check the Pencil Mileage Club schedule for dates.

Also, Art.Blogging.LA answered this same inquiry a few months ago and found this:

•The Drawing Club
•Animators Union on Lankershim.
•Cal-state Long Beach
•Gallery 825 (Wednesdays for $8 )
•Avenue 50 Studio and Sheldon's Art Academy in Oak Park.

Read their entire post on this inquiry.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:13 pm

You guys probably saw this post on Drawn, right? Sounds pretty ridiculous. Although, from Amy's experience growing up in upstate NY, I can see it happening...

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:43 pm

okkkaaaay, it's late so maybe I'm not thinking straight BUT what the has that teacher done wrong? We had nude models in our art classes when I was 16. This is crazy, common sense and all sense of perspective seems to have been thrown out the window in modern society. I dispair, I truely do.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:41 pm

Kazu wrote:You guys probably saw this post on Drawn, right? Sounds pretty ridiculous. Although, from Amy's experience growing up in upstate NY, I can see it happening...
That's why I never draw a penis on a horse. I might offend someone in upstate New York.

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:40 am

I just felt on the article too!

Judging from what I see in movies, it looks like it's less ofending to see cut in half bodies than a nude person.

Maybe the teacher should have sent them in some medical drawing classes instead....

jrr

Post by jrr » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:59 am

figure drawing eh?

what the article failed to mention was, the figure was him! zing!

that's so silly, because it's a well known fact that seeing naked people destroys all morality.

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:28 am

Well, of course it destroys all morality! That's why Nature invented pants!

~IJ

PS: ...Okay, in retrospect, that joke doesn't make half as much sense as I thought it would've.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:43 am

I live in Laguna Niguel. I take classes from Karl Gnass (http://www.spirit-of-the-pose.com/) in L.A. It's worth the drive to get a good teacher. I carpool with a guy I met in class.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:22 pm

Kazu wrote:You guys probably saw this post on Drawn, right? Sounds pretty ridiculous.
I believe it. I am a teacher and stupid stuff like this happens all the time (though so far not to anyone I know). Even Sheridan College, the most prestigious art school in Canada (unless you listen to those amateurs from OCAD :wink: ), apparently used to only allow life drawing models who wore spandex body suits. This was some years ago- I don't know how many. Probably not as many as you might think.

There are many wonderful things about (Anglo) North American culture, but this weird obsession with never seeing naked people except in movies is not one of them.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image