I O Brush

General Discussion
ChadTHX1138

I O Brush

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:23 pm

I thought the Wacom Tablet was clever...Check out this crazy digital paint brush called I O.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2681458
Chad Townsend

nabasu

Post by nabasu » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:46 pm

I/O Brush is a new drawing tool to explore colors, textures, and movements found in everyday materials by "picking up" and drawing with them. I/O Brush looks like a regular physical paintbrush but has a small video camera with lights and touch sensors embedded inside. Outside of the drawing canvas, the brush can pick up color, texture, and movement of a brushed surface. On the canvas, artists can draw with the special "ink" they just picked up from their immediate environment.
Let me be the first to say: I WANT ONE!! :P

http://web.media.mit.edu/~kimiko/iobrush/

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:24 am

I like the bit in the product description which proudly proclaims: "(the) I/O Brush looks like a regular physical paintbrush..."

Hohoho! On what planet, mister? It looks like a cross between a toilet brush and a hoover attatchment! Look at it! It's as long as that kid's arm fr' gawd's sake! It looks like fun, but I can imagine is akin to "painting" with a baseball bat.

I love that those mad inventors never stop trying, though, can't wait for that "Chocolate Teapot" that they say's gonna be such a hit!

Lorenzo "lovin' that crazey brush" Etheringtino
Buy and preview books by The Etherington BrothersHERE!

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:58 am

Nice toy.

Let me know when they make a non-giant sized version.
--Joe.

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:59 am

Yeah, the size can be a little problem... :P

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:00 am

bah! the size isn't a problem, you can use it to glaze your turkeys too!! Its the ultimate tool for a sunday roast; and once you've had your fill it doubles up as after dinner entertainment.

I think this is cool, I think with further development it could be a useful tool for artists. As is stands, I could see it being used for installations and as family entertainment.

The one thing that worries me is that it encourages future artists to be even less observant of their surroundings.

On the whole, I think this is an interesting development. Nice find chad.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:29 am

Yeah, this would be such a great toy for kids.

Dek

Post by Dek » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:26 pm

Oh come on! This is a prototype :P I'm sure it has thousands of other practical uses.

Think - it's only equipped with a CCD camera for now. Imagine if it were equipped to pick up textures, via distance-mapping or whatever it's called, and then map them out, render the light according to the map and create textures from it? Imagine being able to put a (smaller :D) brush over your dog, and being able to paint randomized fur?

Or, more realistically, paint it over a hardened bit of glossy paint, and automatically pick up the gloss, the colour, and never have to clean a paintbrush? Things like that - everything started out as big and childish.

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:47 pm

All good points, pal, but come on, where's the fun in that?

If I wanted to "sample" stuff like, I'd just be in the computer ripping off photos and stuff. It's too easy, that's my problem with it. Sure, the whole world is there to reference and inspire, but that's what your EYES are for. I agree with Nick on this one really, it just takes the real interraction out of observation and creativity.

ANYONE can wave a camera at something and take samples of the images/texture. The enjoyment for me comes from that heightened awareness you get when you're really locked into what you're illustrating/painting/sculpting and the link between your mind, what you want to render, and your hands is absolute. That's the rush, surely?

Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea, and I'm sure that alot of folks could do some really good stuff with it, it just seems to be a tool for "dodging" round actually developing artistic skills and creative observation.

But I could be wrong...

Lorenzo "throwing it out there" Etheringtino
Buy and preview books by The Etherington BrothersHERE!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:04 am

Man, this brush could be pretty revolutionary for digital painting. If I had the capability to pick up random texture patterns to incorporate into my images that quickly, I would pay even more than I do right now for my tablet. The brush looks clunky right now, but if Wacom could get this I/O sensor to work in conjunction with the tablet pen, this would pretty much eliminate the need to scan and archive texture patterns and would create a looser workflow. Imagine just having piles of photography books on your desk whose images you'd have at your brush's disposal, and you can browse for textures by flipping pages rather than searching file archives. This is a great invention...

Walter

Post by Walter » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:11 pm

Lorenzo wrote:The enjoyment for me comes from that heightened awareness you get when you're really locked into what you're illustrating/painting/sculpting and the link between your mind, what you want to render, and your hands is absolute. That's the rush, surely?
I'd say mostly frustration from not getting it right, and then the rush when it finally happens

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:52 pm

Yeah. I read somewhere that artists, on average, only accomplish about 10% success in any of their given works, compared to the original idea.

Don't ask where I got that statistic. I totally forgot.

~IJ

PS: Yeah, this thing might be cool. Heck, it could be "the next big thing". But... let's just say I have my doubts.