Is drawing a hobby, or is it something you live for?

General Discussion

Is drawing your life or hobby?

Spare time hobby.
37%
I live for it./I live for it, its my job.
63%
I dont draw, just reading this...:P
No votes
Other...
No votes

Total votes: 19

The_Noik

Is drawing a hobby, or is it something you live for?

Post by The_Noik » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:28 pm

Just curious, and maybe also because its wednesday morning...

Is drawing your life or hobby? :D

Walter

Post by Walter » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:19 pm

I draw far less often considering I work in a sign shop. Maybe I should remedy that, yes?

what do you mean "because its wednesday morn"?

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:39 pm

Not really meaning something with it, its just early... :|

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:51 pm

I'm happy to say its my job :) I get well narked if I don't at least do one doodle/illo for my own projects everyday too; so yes; it's all consuming. :)

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:54 am

It's pretty much everything I want to do in life. My entire lifestyle revolves around drawing and what I want to do with it.

But I guess if I didn't draw, I'd join the Army. Either that or the Coast Guard, because I always wanted to fight giant squids and pirates.
Last edited by Reagan on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:57 am

I do it as a hobby, and I make some money off it (storyboarding), but I hope one day to make enough money from drawing to live off it. I love drawing, it's always been my first love, but if was suddenly unable to draw, I wouldn't kill myself.
--Joe.

Clank

Post by Clank » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:53 am

Right now, drawing is only a hobby for me. I don't think I'm going to be an professional artist when I grow up, but I hope to continue to improve.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:05 am

In my entire life I have made less than $500 US from my art. But this thing has gone way beyond just being a "hobby." I recently, perhaps stupidly, turned down a potential offer to be a full-time teacher in a grade 3 class in large part because I knew I would have no more time to draw if I took it. Subsititue teaching is terrible work, but it keeps me in groceries and gives me time to feed my obsession.

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:25 am

I went to school to get a "real job" and stop drawing so I could support my parents, but in the end I found out that I couldn't stop drawing (or else I would literally go crazy), so I'm lucky that I can manage to somehow live off of it. For better or worse, I'm stuck in it. :)

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:37 am

Kazu wrote:I went to school to get a "real job" and stop drawing so I could support my parents
:) That is precisely the same situation I faced. Drawing for a job was just one of those fairytales that happened to the chosen few. Not coming from an artistic family it was difficult to make people understand.

I hate that expression. "Get in the real world" or "Get a real job" Just what the hell is that supposed to mean?? :)

heh heh, git down those mines boy

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:40 pm

Kazu wrote:...in the end I found out that I couldn't stop drawing (or else I would literally go crazy), so I'm lucky that I can manage to somehow live off of it. For better or worse, I'm stuck in it. :)
I have the same sentiments, When I think about what else I could do to make a living... I can't. I would be unhappy elswhere and yet sometimes when work is slow you feel kinda stuck. I have been real fortunate to make my living as an artist for 9 years now. Sometimes I just dont feel like i'm achieving enough...But...It really feels good that I am able to support a family doing what I love. I may never be well off and I accept that for now, so I work a bit harder.

Nick: I had very supportive parents growing up, but the rest of my family and people I would talk to didn't think I would amount to much pursueing art or the desire to draw comic's. You're not alone, I have dealt with this attitude often.

Recently my wife and I went to lunch with a couple who's daughter is on the same soccer team as our oldest daughter. I never mentioned what I did for a living. after a while of talking the Husband finally asks me and as soon as I tell him he completely shuts down for (almost) the rest of the entire lunch. he mentions how he thinks cartoons and games etc are so bad for children. Well it wasnt hard to figure out his opinion of me heheh
Chad Townsend

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:20 pm

The more people I speak to, the more I discover that more often than not we all started in a similar place; where the people around us didn’t really understand what we were trying to do. That’s kinda comforting. I mean when you think about it, its quite obvious that we’d all be starting out in a similar fashion, but I guess when you’re still trying to find yourself, little details like that get lost along the way. :)

My parents were the same, they supported me, even if they didn’t undertstand and for that leap of faith I think I am indebted to them even more. Heh heh, I remember when my mates would look through the books I’d bought and proclaim in disgust It’s just pictures!!! . I don’t think there’s a person out there who hasn’t had the “Get a real job!” lecture from their parents.

As for the whole Games and Comics are BAD; a little word that it seems many people have forgotten these days : Moderation.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:32 pm

I love to draw, I duno if I can make some money off it but that might be nice one day. I'm in college now for visual arts, one of my favorite lines when talking to friends about homework is, "well you're work's easy you have to draw for homework!" Anyway I guess it's all relative, I might think thier homework's easy too if they'd been studing it that long, but it's not and sometimes neither is drawing.

Damn Chad, I hope you came up with a whitty way to belittle the guy who was talking down on comics.
"Everything in my shop is the best," replied the butcher. "You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best."
At these words Banzan became enlightened.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:40 pm

lifelibertyland wrote:Damn Chad, I hope you came up with a whitty way to belittle the guy who was talking down on comics.
No I didn't...I dont want anything to reflect badly on my daughter when she had nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's better to not say anything at all, some people are just ignorant, not everyone understands. It's just better to prove people wrong through your actions.

Prove em wrong passively.
Chad Townsend

nabasu

Post by nabasu » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:13 pm

Wow...Third time today that I have almost this exact debate...

Today I was discussing with my cousing about how I should study something that could earn me a lot of money. My answer to that was that I didn't care about money, I care about my happiness (idealistic). Then he retorted with that with money comes happines because you can do a lot of things with it.
And I said I didn't want to do something I don't enjoy for eight hours of day, fourty hours a week just to earn a lot of money. That wouldn't bring me joy in life. (Literally, I'm prone to depressions). I'd much rather do something I DO enjoy for a living AND be happy, even if I make less money.

That basically covers my stance on it. Though I don't live on my art and drawings at the moment, I'm aiming to get there one day.

On my background though, we have a few artists in my family, like my dad and my uncle. So I hadn't too hard when I told my parents that it's what I wanted to do.