best places to live if you're a cartoonist?

General Discussion
tinyforest

best places to live if you're a cartoonist?

Post by tinyforest » Thu May 12, 2005 2:04 pm

hello, this is my first post. my name is holly and i'm a soon-to-be SCAD graduate. i'm a little bummed that in a few weeks i am going to be leaving savannah and the pretty awesome community of cartoonists from my classes to go back to middle-of-nowhere illinois until my boyfriend is ready to whisk me away to the suburbs of detroit.

i was just wondering where anybody here thinks is the best (or at least a really good) place to live if you're a cartoonist. does location have any bearing on work opportunities these days, what with overnight shipping and the internet? are there any particular cities with a fun and happenin' comics community where creators get together to inspire and motivate each other?
comics and adorable animals. tiny forest

Ryansias

Post by Ryansias » Thu May 12, 2005 2:43 pm

go got 2 choices... NY or LA.. both are great , both have comic scenes.. LA has more "animation".. any place elce just is going to be less..

Ryan

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Thu May 12, 2005 2:46 pm

yeah, a lot of cartooning action in new york city! there's tons and tons of us here. :D

many cities have comics communities...san francisco, seattle, portland oregon, columbus, st. louis...

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Thu May 12, 2005 2:57 pm

Move up to Seattle. We have Starbucks.

i.am.jamie

Post by i.am.jamie » Thu May 12, 2005 4:33 pm

hi holly!! come live with me and katie in LA!!! we can have tea parties and bake cookies!

PS LA is great but i also hear SF is wonderful too.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu May 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Hey Holly! Don't really have an answer for you, but I'm glad to see you over here at Flight! See ya in class on Tuesday :D
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Kid Galactus

Post by Kid Galactus » Thu May 12, 2005 7:47 pm

Holly,

Don't come here! it's a trap!
http://spencerranch.wordpress.com
-Every Damned Day: A daily sketchblog

http://kidgalactus.deviantart.com
- Kid on Deviantart

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu May 12, 2005 11:08 pm

It all depends on what kind of comics you do or want to do.
And even then, if you look at all of the cartoonists out there, they are scattered around the world. I would have never thought Atlanta was the place to be, but it made me happy, inspired me, and ended up being the best place I could be... in the same town as my publisher and within driving distance to all of the shows in the east.
But everyone is different. Besides, most working cartoonists spend most of their time inside at the drawing table. That's where online communities come in.

In my opinion there is no real "place." Any place can work.
But um... I'd find some place that's cheap. ;)

jawa

Post by jawa » Fri May 13, 2005 6:49 pm

What did you think of SCAD? I'm graduating next year and frankly I'm sort of lost as to where to go to college (i'm looking at an illustration major even though i fancy myself a cartoonist). SCAD was one of the places I've been looking at and I'm planning on visiting this summer

tinyforest

Post by tinyforest » Fri May 13, 2005 7:16 pm

thanks for the suggestions, everybody! and hi, guys i know! :D

jawa - i enjoyed it, but i can't help but feel like i didn't make the best use of my time. i transferred in from jr. college so i started about a year behind the other folks in my graduating class. the teachers in the sequential department are all really awesome too. if you're thinking of going into any of the other majors i can't really speak for them, because i really only have experience with sequential art.

definitely get involved with clubs/student organizations. that's the one thing i really regret, not getting out of my room more often.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 13, 2005 9:05 pm

I had an excellent experience...as far as my development as a cartoonist is concerned. The administration sucks. I'll get that statement out of the way. They can give you a real runaround, but that may be worth it depending on what you think of the classes. I'm not sure how other colleges compare to it, though.

Regardless of that though, I don't think that I'd be anywhere near where I am as a cartoonist right now without my experience here. The professors are good, and I've learned a lot from them. But perhaps most importantly (and something that sort of keeps this on the original topic of this thread...), the people that I've met here have helped me out more than I can really fathom. Much of what I've learned about cons, mini comics, web stuff, and more came from them, really. At least it gave me people to learn that stuff with, rather than by myself. And it's also really great to be surrounded by people who you can just lean over to and say, "...does this look right?"

Of course there are pros and cons about studying to be a cartoonist. I feel that being a Sequential Art major, I've gotten where I want to be at this point with comics but...what else? It's like...if I get to do what I want, and what I've gone to school for...it still won't pay back the loans it took to get there ha ha :shock: But the hope is that the skills you learned as a cartoonist can transfer to other fields of art and design. We'll see, I graduate in two weeks... :shock:

As far as other departments go, I've taken some Illustration courses, and my girlfriend is an Illustration major, so I know a little about that. There's a real shift away from teaching drawing skill in that department, and a real concentration on style. That's like the complete opposite of the Sequential Art dept where you are taught not to use "style" as a crutch. From my experience, the Illustration strategy here is kinda "well, lets work with what you got" rather than really helping you grow. Ugh, but that's another rant for another time...they'll probably end up with better jobs than me anyway :(

So, I feel really odd reccomending SCAD or not. I've seen some great people come from it, I've seen some cruddy people float through, and I've seen some poor folks leave furious. It's all up to you, and what you want to put into it. If you're motivated, you can use the experience here to your advantage and really come out on top. But I imagine it's that way most places.

Ah, anyway, I'll stop...that's probably more uncertain information than you want to process...good luck though, I wish you the best! :D
Visit the Tragic Planet!

jawa

Post by jawa » Fri May 13, 2005 9:33 pm

wow, thanks to both of you. i guess i'm just going to talk to anyone i can about recommendations and visit where i can get to. i'll let you all know in a year what happens, haha

tinyforest

Post by tinyforest » Fri May 13, 2005 10:02 pm

joey is clearly better than me at the "do you recommend scad or not?" question. i am always really reluctant to answer because a lot of my negative experience is self-inflicted. my horrible awkward shyness, for one. but i definitely would not be anywhere near to where i am now if i hadn't come here. when i was submitting portfolios for scholarships to scad i was thinking "well, i want to do comics, so i should draw stuff that has panels!" i'm really embarrassed by the "pages" i did for my portfolio now, because even when i did them i didn't have any sort of story in mind! they were really just some random, barely connected pictures in panels.

being surrounded by all these stinking talented people all the time (like Joey!) is the perfect kick in the pants to get going and do stuff. it's very easy and very tempting for me to just wallow in my own mediocrity. that's kind of what worries me about graduating, since i won't have that particular motivating factor around i might sink into my "why bother" mode.

damn, this turned whiny really fast, huh? :oops: if you come here just be awesome and don't suck! haha

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Sat May 14, 2005 11:26 am

I didn't major in comics, or go to the school in question, but I always feel it's my duty to recommend any and all youngsters away from majoring in art/drawing. Major in design, or something that'll land you a job. Major in animation, even. But illustration/sequential art--you're just asking for a life of working retail/foodservice.

SAVE YOURSELF!

About where to live: I always say New York. Bottom line: no driving. Not driving has got to be the biggest relief in the modern world. Granted, the cost of living is high as hell (hell, being very high), but that's made up for in that people get paid more. That and, the world is at your fingertips. You'll end up doing more cool things by accident in NY than you likely ever did on purpose in other places.
I can't fly.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 14, 2005 2:05 pm

Ayo wrote:I didn't major in comics, or go to the school in question, but I always feel it's my duty to recommend any and all youngsters away from majoring in art/drawing. Major in design, or something that'll land you a job. Major in animation, even. But illustration/sequential art--you're just asking for a life of working retail/foodservice.

SAVE YOURSELF!
Too late. :shock:
Visit the Tragic Planet!