Tablet Suggestion?

General Discussion
habel

Tablet Suggestion?

Post by habel » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:44 am

Anyone have suggestions for a pen tablet to do digital illustration? I used an Wacom ArtZ II for ages on my PC but I recently got a new iMac and have to upgrade to something new since there's no serial port. I tried the graphire 3 4x5 at the Apple store but it seemed kinda jerky. Any ideas?

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:32 am

Moved this to Hotel Adriano. Hope noone minds.

I would recommend the size up, I think the 6x9. It seems to be a good balance of price, feel, and functionality. However, I wouldn't discount the 4x5. It is a little imprecise, but if you're using the tablet for just colouring (for example), it's more than adequate. Especially if you're already used to the way a tablet feels.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:34 am

I work on one of the new Graphire 3 Wacoms. I thnk i have a 4.5x6? Yeah, anyway, works just fine for cell shading, though i wouldn't recommend it or the size it comes in if you want to do digital painting. But, it's you're doing simple color work like i am, i give it a thumbs up. :D

dan

habel

Post by habel » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:58 am

Are you guys using Macs or PCs? Dunno if the drivers act differently depending on the platform but I swear when i tried the graphire at the apple store it was jumpy and wasnt responding correctly. I guess it could just have been abused.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:28 am

Wacom Graphire 2 for me, 4X5. I do all my digital paintings with it, the size doesn't bother me in the slightest, depends on the way you work I guess. If I had the money I'd by a larger tablet though, simply because I could!..if I had the money.

I'm inclined to say your experience at the store was probably just a tablet having been quickly installed, poorly setup and abused by the public. It's like using computers at the library or something; doesn't matter how powerful they are, they're always nightmarishly slow. Oh and I use a PC, dunno if the drivers perform differently for each platform.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:29 am

I've got an old Graphire 2 4X5 that works fine but I'm upgrading to the Intuos 6X8 very soon. I find the work space too confining on the smaller one, but it's great for colouring.

Were you drawing or scribbling with the tablet? My Mac is older (G4 733 MHZ) and if I scribble really quick, the processor can't keep up and it jumps and has no fluidity. Works fine at normal drawing speed.

Or were you using the mouse at the same time? :D

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:40 am

I use an Intuos2 6x8. I love it. It's perfect. I think I used the graphire once and it felt really clunky to me. Since I began working on an Intuos, I'm spoiled by the better pressure sensitivity and accuracy.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the Cintiq and tablet PC. I personally don't like drawing on the actual screen. Since I end up getting so close to the image but still separated by glass, it feels like the pen and image are really separated in my mind. Like I'm drawing with one of those hair magnet things. Heheh. (Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about here...)

tuck

Post by tuck » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:45 am

I have a graphire 3 4x5. I'm using a mac. There is noting wrong with its performance. Ive never tried the bigger size so I don't know what I'm missing. In regards to it being jumpy.. that has something to do with that specific computer, because with mine Ive never had a problem with it. The three button mouse that comes with it is pretty much garbage.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:48 am

Kazu wrote:I use an Intuos2 6x8. I love it. It's perfect. I think I used the graphire once and it felt really clunky to me. Since I began working on an Intuos, I'm spoiled by the better pressure sensitivity and accuracy.
Exactly the same with me. I knew I'd be wanting more down the road so I spoiled myself with an Intuos2 9x12 (and then soiled myself in excitement). Intuos2 is the whole package, so if you have the money to put into it, I'd recommend that route. But then, if you don't get something top of the line it doesn't mean you'll be stuck with something as unreliable as a store model tablet. Simply looking at the testimonies in this thread, everyone's managed to be happy working with what they have. The mark of a good artist?
Kazu wrote:Like I'm drawing with one of those hair magnet things. Heheh. (Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about here...)
That thing and Etch-a-Sketch may have been the unwitting originators of my artistic pursuits.
ImageImageImageImage

Monk

Post by Monk » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:01 pm

Perhaps unrelated to illustration, but my Intuos 2 4x5 is perfect for photo retouching. PERFECT. Even the size of it feels right, like it's comparable to the size of the image on the screen. But I suppose that doesn't help an illustrator or digital painter...

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Kazu wrote:t feels like the pen and image are really separated in my mind. Like I'm drawing with one of those hair magnet things. Heheh. (Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about here...)
LOL! That's one expensive hair magnet game! Hair magnets for PROS.

habel

Post by habel » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Thanks all. I'm going to try the graphire3 4x5 and hope the one I tried was just a lemon. I used an ArtZ II 4x5 for years so I don't think the smaller area will bother me. If the graphire just doesn't cut it, I guess I'll break the piggy bank and go for the Intuos. Thanks again for the advice.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Wacom has a monopoly on these things???

Hupselipup

Post by Hupselipup » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like Wacom has a monopoly on these things???
They've only got a monopoly on the really good ones. I've been using this one:

for years and it works fine. I've used wacoms too and gladly admit that those are the pinacle in graphic tabletting but if your buget is small and you want a bigger size then 4x5 it might be worth checking out.
Martin

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:05 pm

OK Now I've got a question for all you Intuos owners: what does tilt sensitivety do? I can never find any info on it! I assume it simulates tilting the brush perpindicular to the direction it's moving by fading the far edge, but it's just a guess. Any one care to enlighten me? Please?

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:30 pm

I just got awarded a scholarship prize so I'm using most of the money on upgrading my PC and buying an Intuos 6x8. We use them at Uni and they are absolutely spanking. Never had a problem with one and there's soooo much sensitivity!

Mothos, as far as I can tell you're correct about the tilt sensitivity. I've found it's also very useful for airbrushing with the stylus.
--Joe.