GAS.

General Discussion
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:51 pm

$2.75 in L.A., Ca

I heard that they think the price on gas may double around here, befor it gets better. If thats even vaguely true, I'm going to have to start riding my bike to work.

P.S. I wished in lived in NYC, I love the Public Transportation ther.
I wish I was better

KSBrennan

Post by KSBrennan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:24 pm

86.9 / litre. I'm beginning to enjoy living in Alberta more and more.

tuck

Post by tuck » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 pm

I kind of hope the prices go up in the states/canada... Then maybe people wont buy so many damned huge cars. Maybe people would start carpooling, or take another form of transit, less polluting. I live in this terrible suburby place outside of Toronto and everthing is so spread out. You have to drive everywhere. Buses stop running after 1030 and they don't run on sundays. It's one of the riches places in canada, so most people drive SUVs with only one person in the car.
I went to Italy and everyone had tiny cars. I was in love.

Zhat

Post by Zhat » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:18 am

Is it just a Vancouver trend or is the Smart Car popping up everywhere? Some people say their really ugly, but to me it just looks like a toy. I'd buy one as I never really leave Greater Vancouver that often. The only thing is that I don’t want one of those gas-guzzling monster trucks to drive right over me without feeling a bump.
...plus I have no money.

Another one I would like to see driving around is the Sparrow. They're classified as a motorcycle.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:25 am

There are a few Smart cars in Montreal, but very few.
I've loved those little toy cars since 1999 when I was in Italy. The Ford Ka is nice too.

http://www.ford.fr/ie/ka/ka_experience/ka_gallery/

Mind you, a Smart would only be good for town driving. NO WAY would I go on a long trip, surrounded by those huge lumber carrying monster truck...and there are a LOT on the way to visit my parents.
I'd probably get crushed to bits :shock:

In the meantime, I'm ok with the Montreal transit system...

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:35 am

I used to have a Ford KA. Good little cars, surprisingly nippy too; as they're quite small the smaller engines easily hold their own, cheap to run, cheap to tax. Lovely.

Smart cars are pretty cool, though you kinda feel like you're flying by the seat of your pants when it gets going. It's also ideal for driving along pavements in city areas if someone blocks the entrance to your parking bay...I hasten to add I was the passenger on that little venture.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:38 am

Hehe, I just remembered a young couple commenting on the Smart car.
"there's no way we can fit two golf bags in that!!"
I think they may be right.
I wonder if one could put a rack of sort on top of it...

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:27 am

Heh heh, Well you might...as long as the driver and passenger didn't mind having them laid out across their laps.... You sit so far back from the dashboard, it's really strange, it's abit like driving around in a bubble.

I read somewhere that you can get get third party roof racks for them and it's pretty cool (if not abit of a gimmick) that you can change the colour of them as you might a mobile phone.

God I sound like a car salesman :shock: I don't even own a smart. :D

Dek

Post by Dek » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:38 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: WOW some of those are high! Jeez - Vancouver prices are 99.9? I'm surprised - you're a lot closer to Alberta then me in Toronto here...but that might not even affect anything.

Over here it's about 79-87 cents a lite. I saw 79 cents just about a week ago - it's about 85 - 89 in the past few days. I haven't seen it at 90 yet, but I'm sure it'll be there soon. This is crazy.

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:23 pm

I went to work in LA after living in the UK for a couple months. OH MY GOODNESS culture shock. We were in Hacienda Heights, and a single lane on the road was about twice the width of a two-lane road in Britain. Plus, on the block next to ours, they didn't even have sidewalks. As if the idea of WALKING anywhere was just bloody rediculous (which, given that it was LA, it really was). Just super-wide suburban pavement.

I heard a rumour that in the 50s there was a plan to introduce a futuristic, expansive public transit system in LA. Then the plans got bought out by GM and/or Ford, were scrapped, and that's the story of public transit in LA. Can anyone verify?

Edit: tuck, i agree - i hope the prices get so high that politicians can't afford it. Then maybe we'll see change.
I just hope that Audi releases an S4 that runs on an alternate power source. One day.

tuck

Post by tuck » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:51 pm

There are so many smart cars in italy... Theyre good to park too, because their legnth is the size of the width of a normal car. so they can fit anywhere pretty much.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:34 am

I'm glad I drive a Civic HX. 30-35 MPG. The Prius is nice but I still don't like the looks and dashboard layout.

Monk

Post by Monk » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:11 am

Dang... after reading this thread yesterday I spent most of my remaining work hours looking up the smart car US adaptation. Too bad they're still going to run something like $20k here - what do they cost in Europe?

I have been holding onto my junker '96 Geo Tracker for a while now, hoping for some kind of automobilical miracle to happen with hybrids or electrics or something. I've even thought of something in the vein of a Vespa, conveniently not worrying too much about having to ride it in the rain/snow/heat/cold etc.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:49 am

Monk wrote: what do they cost in Europe?
If memory serves they cost about £8000 here in the UK new, so that's what...about $14000? Something like that. Smart cars are pretty neat, but seriously over priced. Ford Ka's are a better alternative IMO, it's surprising how much you can cram into one of those.

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Here in Santa Barbara gas is about $2.55-$2.65 a gallon. On the drive up to San Francisco yesterday we passed by a place where gas was $2.89. :(