Fine Art Prints: Paper? Process?

General Discussion
Tony

Fine Art Prints: Paper? Process?

Post by Tony » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:19 pm

You're an artist and you're making fine-art prints of digitally created art. What kind of paper do you use? What kind of printing process do you use? Do you control editions, and all that sort of thing? I'm talking about put-it-in-a-frame, hang-it-in-the-national-gallery, it'll-last-forever quality.

I know a few of you occasionally offer art prints for sale. What's your process (the printing, not the selling)?

<HEART>
Tony

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:15 am

I just use Epson Archival Enhanced Matte Paper. And sometimes bristol or watercolor paper.

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:06 am

And do you just shove it through the ink-jet, Kazu-kun?

Monk

Post by Monk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:37 am

Not sure about lasting forever, but I print out photographs on my Epson 2200 inkjet photo printer, using the same paper Kazu does (archival matte or luster). Epson inks for the 2200 are also archival and in a good frame should last 100+ years, which I guess is forever as far as we're concerned...

I don't control editions (yet), as right now in my career editions of any number wouldn't really sell out :cry: And I personally try for accessibility in my photography rather than worth - it's better for me to have more prints that cost less hanging in people's homes than fewer prints that cost more. But that's an individual choice...