Where's everyone located?

General Discussion
Dek

Re: its a drive?

Post by Dek » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:54 pm

frak wrote:Traffic is what kills ya.
But after 5 years of the drive... you some how get numb to it.
Well yeah...but all the way from mid-eastern Canada ;)
sideache wrote:I live in OC SoCal and I love it here.
*drool* That's pretty much the polar opposite of me...gah

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:44 am

Neil wrote:Like in "Calvin & Hobbes," that was what childhood was like, with all the long summer days, hunting through the woods in the autumn, sled riding in the winter, etc. How do people grow up without that??
You just described my childhood! I really can't imagine growing up without the changing seasons.

I don't know if I could ever leave the east coast. I lived in Syracuse, NY my entire life until about a year ago when I moved to Buffalo for college. I can't really see myself doing anything other then going back to Syracuse or staying in Buffalo after college. Buffalo has a pretty awesome art community, though I don't know any other comic enthusiasts around here. Syracuse has a few syndicated cartoonists and two or three guys in the super hero biz, but thats about it. Regardless, I love the landscape and weather around this part of the country.

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:30 am

I reside in Culver City, basically the LA metropolitan area...really like it and i work in santa monica. I am close to almost everything from Culver. Money flows through this place like nothing else i have seen...you know you are in a rich area when you are numb to seeing BMWs, Mercedes and Porsche...Even Lambos and Ferraris aren't nearly as special as they used to be when i was growing up...kinda sux.

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:33 am

I live in Alta Dena, which is a hop and a skip away from Pasadena and the Art Center College of Design.

There seems to be a rather large representation of Canadians here, which I didn't expect. I've only been to Vancouver and British Columbia, but I remember enjoying it immensely.

I've lived here all my life (and even went to UCLA), so I'm starting to get a bit of wanderlust.
Still... the art scene here is absolutely amazing. From everything I've heard, this is probably the best place to do entertainment design.

bigg

Post by bigg » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:02 pm

I'm orignaly from boston mass, but i'm holdin' it down in nyc. not to far of a move, but an important one. i work in the heart of times square, 1515 broadway. it's crazy. but i love the city, the lights and the atmosphere. altho for me( not being from ny) it can all get on my nerves after awhile. that's when i go on vactaion, and when i come back i love ny more than ever.
BigG
"I twist a blitz so quick it turns to roach clips/ New nicks get picked/ oh SHIT i need another hit/ I sip Sipps while two full clips spit hollow tips/ As I raise the guns up off my hips/ Now who you fukin with?"
http://www.wesleygunn.com

EQ

Post by EQ » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:14 pm

I was raised right outside NYC in the burbs. I always wanted to live in the city, and I now do. I actually just moved to Queens a month ago. I work in the times square area as well. Being from NY and living in the city for the past 8 years, I can say that it always gets on your nerves, but once I leave i always miss it.
-b

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:23 pm

I almost went to school in New York City at SVA or Pratt, but at the last minute decided not to. I was accepted at both (with very tiny scholarships even), but in the end I couldn't afford either school.

It turned out for the best I think though. I am pretty happy in buffalo and reflecting on the possibility of living in NYC now, I don't think I would have liked living in the big huge city.

nathanwiedemer

Post by nathanwiedemer » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:42 pm

Kid Galactus wrote:Hey,

I live in Orlando, FL (metro-west). There's an industry here, and it's not too hard to do respectably, if you're willing to make concessions. It's however not as bustling as it seems to be out on the West coast . The people here aren't especially friendly, The city's terribly loud and obnoxious, and the humidity is murder.

All that being said, so far it's pretty neat and I'm pretty sure there's a couple other people on the boards that live around here too.

Hey Wayne, good to see another Orlando FL boy (migrated at least.)
The friendly people are around, you just got to make it through all the jerks to find em. As far as a community down here it's pretty scattered. Most of the other artists I know are over in tampa.
If your ever looking for a good indie friendly comic shop check out Family Comics and Cards over on Park Ave in Winter Park.
And if you ever want to do a sketch session PM me. later

Derek

Post by Derek » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:42 pm

Fullerton, where the Flight guys will be on Friday, but I will be at work. :(

VC

Post by VC » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:15 pm

NM, USA
oh yeah, plug: http://hereishere.com

NthMike

Post by NthMike » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:06 pm

Londonderry, NH, about 45 minutes from Boston. Not being an artist, I'm fairly oblivious to anything resembling an art scene up here in NH. :wink:

Mike
The unofficial Broken Frontier representative to the Flight forums.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:08 pm

Mount Vernon, New York...1.5 miles from the edge of New York City. :(

The problem is that its a HARD mile and a half...there really isn't a "safe" way to walk from my house to the subway, so I drive into the City and park it and ride the train.

The indie comics scene in New York City is great. A lot of indie cartoonists live and are published here, and furthermore, all the mainstream is based here as well. I love it so much. I can usually hit three comic stores when I do a comics run. Its easier since I never buy anything anyway! But its great to have so much good material at your fingertips.
I can't fly.

IronPiraite

Post by IronPiraite » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Laguna Beach, Orange County, Ca.
Unbelievable.
Out of all the places in the world, I'm living in the most televised state, and highly televised county and even city...
Sheer accident
^_^

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:29 pm

I'm in a city adjacent to Pasadena. Where exactly, I won't say.