Where's everyone located?

General Discussion
JonS

Where's everyone located?

Post by JonS » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:01 pm

Just wanted to know where everyone's located and what's the small press comics/illustration/design/animation art scene like in your city?
I'm just curious...

I know alot the folks here are in California somehwere (which is where I plan to be soon) but currently I'm in Texas.

Dek

Post by Dek » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:54 pm

Canadia. *points to location thing*

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:06 pm

oakizzle, dawg. you gotta re-pre-sent. (oakland) XD

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:34 pm

Hi Jon. I'm based in Pasadena, which is a few miles northeast of Los Angeles. It's nice here, and the art/design community is pretty strong since it's the home of the ArtCenter College of Design...

Living in LA (or in the vicinity) is pretty essential for working in the entertainment industry it seems. Just working hard on creative projects around here, you end up falling into plenty of different things to do, and the people are very nice. So, aside from the smog and traffic, I do like it here...

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:56 pm

OK, I gotta come clean, I don't actually live in Vancouver (BC, Canada). It's just, if I say I'm from North Delta, nobody but Clio would know where the hell that was (it's about ten minutes away from Vancouver). I so sorry! :( Can you ever forgive me!? Maybe I should just say 'the Lower Mainland' it encompasses something like ten cities, municipalities and so forth that you can traverse in two hours (end to end) with good traffic.

Now that I've got that off my chest...

A bunch of Design Houses, Movie Studios, Animation Studios and Freelancers call Vancouver home. So depending on what you're into, you just need to visit the right place at the right time to find and hang out with artistic greatness. Even the celebrities will talk to you if you're cool about it and don't go all gushy. Vancouver is pretty laid back like that, plus all the women are hot! :twisted:

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:59 am

Mothos! you fibber!...but its alright, I forgive you.... :)

Well, I come from the South East of England and I live in the creative wasteland that is the town of Uckfield, but its a nice rural town.

Fortunately I only live 30 minutes from the coastal city of Brighton ( though in all seriousness, compared to the cities in America its probably only compares as a medium sized town) but its one of the creative hubs of England, its where all the people with neon pink and green hair hang out. Its also currently one of the places I'm hunting for a job, theres numerous game studios such as Climax there.

Uckfield is also not too far from London, so its pretty well connected considering. I'm still giving thought to moving over to America at some stage, but I can't see that happening for a good couple of years.

EDIT: Off subject briefly, I was in Brighton only yesterday in "Daves Comics" when Daisy Kutter caught my eye ( the comic, not the person, cos shes fictional), and I grabbed my mate and said "Thats the guy!! Thats Kazu!!..." and so forth, couldn't believe they were there so I snapped them up. Hooray for me. :D
Last edited by Nick on Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:05 am

Hello...

I live in Fullerton which is in Orange County very close to Disneyland. I work in Burbank which is... where the Disney Studios is. I just can't get away from the mouse! :wink:
My name is Dave.

Kid Galactus

Post by Kid Galactus » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:02 am

Hey,

I live in Orlando, FL (metro-west). There's an industry here, and it's not too hard to do respectably, if you're willing to make concessions. It's however not as bustling as it seems to be out on the West coast . The people here aren't especially friendly, The city's terribly loud and obnoxious, and the humidity is murder.

All that being said, so far it's pretty neat and I'm pretty sure there's a couple other people on the boards that live around here too.
http://spencerranch.wordpress.com
-Every Damned Day: A daily sketchblog

http://kidgalactus.deviantart.com
- Kid on Deviantart

Soggytoast

Post by Soggytoast » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:32 am

I live in new Bedford Massachusetts, home of Herman Melville's Moby Dick. The comic/illustration/animation scene here is absolutely horrid (read: non-exsistant)and has been a huge detriment to my career. It's so important to be in a place that has a community. Everyone goes to school here and then gets the hell out of Dodge. And that's what I need to do, too.
-Zack Giallongo-

secretid

Post by secretid » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:05 pm

Zack, come hang out with me, dude. I'm right down Rte. 195 in Providence, RI, which is ... not where I want to be, but where I am right now. A city where they light fires on the river in the summer and there's an underground Scrabble club. Ariel Bordeaux and Rick Altergott live near me, but they're the only cartoonists I know of around here. A lot of other comix folx come *from* here, though: Nick Bertozzi and David Mazzuchelli to name two.

frak

Im kinda everywhere

Post by frak » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:24 pm

Well I sleep in Ontario (San Bernadino COunty: 909), work in Chino(San Bernadino COunty: 909), and school in Fullerton (Orange Country:714). So basically im from So. Cali, and that isn't really a generalization.

I like it here, but then its all i have even known. I would like to possibly live on the East Coast for a year before I settle down. What a wonder it would be to see all 4 seasons. Califorina is very vanilla when it comes to weather (I love vanilla!) but some times you're in the mood for Rocy Road. Okay... that was a weak analogy...just run with it.
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

Soggytoast

Post by Soggytoast » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:34 pm

secretid wrote:Zack, come hang out with me, dude. I'm right down Rte. 195 in Providence, RI, which is ... not where I want to be, but where I am right now. A city where they light fires on the river in the summer and there's an underground Scrabble club. Ariel Bordeaux and Rick Altergott live near me, but they're the only cartoonists I know of around here. A lot of other comix folx come *from* here, though: Nick Bertozzi and David Mazzuchelli to name two.
Yeah... Providence is pretty rad, what with RISD and Waterfire and Chalk drawings on the sidewalk. Thayer street's getting a touch trendy, though. I think the messy, small shops are being run out in favor of more Gap type stores and fancy bistro restaurants. At least the Two Million Year Picnic's still hanging on! Sorta...
-Zack Giallongo-

dan

Post by dan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:20 pm

For the time being I'm a denizen of Grand Rapids in Michigan. :) There area here is the "bible belt" of michigan. There are many MANY churches here or some kind of western orhtodox or another. It's ok, the city itself is filled with a fairly strong art and music basis. It's nothing compared to a large city, but Grand Rapids is a nice town.

Oh yeah, winter likes to overstay it's welcome here like the friend that doesn't get the point when you want them to leave. :)

dan

jrr

Post by jrr » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:40 pm

i live in brooklyn new york, the area i live in was made famous by the italian mob. all those mob movies take place in my neighborhood.
also brooklyn is also home to the great walking bridge in the world! the brooklyn bridge.

Monk

Post by Monk » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:09 pm

St. Louis, MO! If there's much of a zine or comics community here, I have yet to find it. That's why I'm here (in the forum) so often...