Goats genetically altered to secrete spider silk

General Discussion
ChadTHX1138

Goats genetically altered to secrete spider silk

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:12 pm

I came across this interesting article while researching for a project. I'd say the first half is the good part.

Got Silk? GE Goats Turned into Factories
http://www.organicconsumers.org/patent/ ... 061702.cfm
Chad Townsend

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:32 pm

I haven't read through the whole article yet, but INSANE.

i also heard that a Japanese lab has done something similar with silk worms and human genes - the silk that they spin are weaved in to a "fabric" that can be used as human skin in operations.

also - I don't know if people here know what "Natto" is, it's fermented soy beans that is a common/standard food in japan. Because of the fermentation, the soy beans have this sticky and stringy film around it. I heard that Japanese scientists figured out a way to use the stringy film to weave cloth out of it, and they've made underpants.... but to me, it seems like they'll turn back in to brown sticky goop when it gets wet - sounds horrble to get all over that part of the anatomy.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:39 pm

I read this in a National Geo. about 2 years ago. I suppose they were kickin' around the idea back then....and yeah, weird. :)

dan

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:46 pm

Looks like Dan beat me to it, but I too remember reading about this in the papers a couple of years back, but never in this much detail. Fact truely is stranger than fiction.

Some scientists believe that to take ourselves to other planets the easiest thing to do would be to genetically alter ourselves, give ourselves gills or whatever we may require. Sounds crazy, but then again so does a spider goat.

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:39 pm

whoa that is such a cool idea...i didn't read the rest of it, i got bored. but the idea of a spider silk vest stopping a bullet dead, way cool.

RobotHero

Post by RobotHero » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:12 pm

I remember reading about this a few years ago, when they first made the goats. One phrase I loved from that article was "attempts at farming spiders proved unsuccessful" or something along those lines.

Heh. Gotta love the image of a room full of caged spiders; Little feed troughs, all filled with bugs; guy on a stool carefully pulling a stand of spider-silk into a bucket.