favorite Olympic athletes! events! moments!

General Discussion
Sweet_Baboo

favorite Olympic athletes! events! moments!

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:57 pm

what are yours?

I've been glued to the gymnastics (mens and womens) and I think Paul Hamm's doing well, but I'm starting to like Brett McClure as the underrated underdog.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:21 pm

Beach volleyball is my addiction. Men's & women both. John Childs and Mark Heese (the men's Canadian team) are my heroes.

I don't really feel like I have too much at stake in these Olympics this time round, but I'll usually watch kayaking and swimming if it's on (goooooo Thorpedo!)

hemigoblin

Post by hemigoblin » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:08 am

Swimming is my favorite. Both the men's and the women's 4x200 free relay were very exciting. The US women set a new world record!

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:29 am

not too sound too much like an Athens Olympics basher, but the games just don't seem too have the same atmosphere as the last ones in Sydney. just on tv, the crowds were always packed and into the sport back in 2000. whereas the crowds in Athens most times don't even seem a quarter full. i remember how hard it was to get tickets to events like the beach volleyball in Sydney. (think the uniforms helped)
but watching it (the beach volleyball yesterday for example) just didn't look right. mostly an empty arena. the rowing was another sad sight. hopefully it will pick up. i heard they are giving tickets away for free now.
remember being able to party almost every night back in 2000, city packed with loads of different people all being nice and friendly to each other. then very first day after they ended the disassociated contempt returned. -sigh-

but yeah my favourite events also beach volleyball, handball and soccer.
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:02 am

I think I recall the commentators mentioning that it's an important religious holiday in Greece right now, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'm looking forward to Tae Kwon Do, if I didn't miss it already. I like the winter olympics better, just because I'm a fan of speed skating...

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:57 pm

I like watching Track n Field...but I havent seen any yet...

I like watching Cycling.....but I missed all of it....

I like watching baseball.....but they arent televising any games....

I like watching tennis....but I am missing all of it too....

I like watching badmiton, table tennis and other "weird" sports (like those little one man sailing boats)....but I can't catch any of this...I think they play it at like 3am here?

I like watching women's volleyball....and I DID see ONE match :D

But in cycling, I am really glad that Tyler Hamilton won the individual time trial gold...man, that guy is such a fighter, last year in the Tour De France, he broke his collarbone the first week, and finished the three week race....in the top 10 I believe.... and this year he crashed out again, and they think he has broken ribs...and he still won gold less than a moth later....he is a warrior and I am happy to see him succeed.....

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:20 pm

After seeing last night's men's gymnastics (the individual competition) - I'm not sure how I felt about Paul Hamm winning gold - it seemed really Hollywood-sy. If anyone missed it, Paul Hamm, two Korean gymnasts and two Romanian gymnasts were going head to head for the three titles - there were small steps on landings, or little mistakes, but nothing major - until Paul Hamm did his vault then fell to the side, off the mat, and plowed into the judges.

I don't understand the intricacies of scoring, but certain routines have a higher starting value based on the difficulty – i.e. if you do a really hard routine, your maximum value is a 10.0, if you do a less challenging routine, your maximum value is a 9.8, etc., and points get deducted from there based on mistakes.

The Romanians did okay but made some mistakes that brought them down. The Koreans kept their scores pretty consistently good, building up their overall score.

Paul Hamm, who got a really low score on the vault and went down to 12tth place came back with two high scores that shot him right up to the gold.

In some ways, I think it’s great that he didn’t give up and worked harder to get back in the game. But then I feel bad for the other gymnasts who were consistent and did things right and stuck their landings. I guess because it’s a sport with a complex scoring system based on judges (as opposed to seeing who finishes a race first) it gets slippery for the audience to be really convinced of who deserves the gold. (especially when the difference between a gold and silver is 0.012)

Paul Hamm (U.S) won gold, and the two Koreans, Kim Dae Eun and Yang Tae Young won silver and bronze.

The team gymnastics were clearer, and I’m very happy for the Japanese men and Romanian women.

ThaJinx

Post by ThaJinx » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:54 pm

Hamm didn't come back just because he scored insanely well on his last two events (which he did; DAMN his stick at the end of the high bar was amazing), he came back because everyone else screwed up as well. They're minor mistakes and resulting deductions in conjunction with his incredible performances are what got him the Gold.

Seriously, everyone counted him out (and rightfully so), and every time they showed him sitting and waiting for the next rotation the announcers were saying things like "What a terrible turn of events!" or "The dream becomes a nightmare!" or "You can only guess what he's thinking about now." What does he do? Focuses and pulls off a hysterically good parallel bars routine. Even the other Olympians counted him out, and I guarantee you that's why Yang Wei lost his handling on the high bar; false sense of security brought him off his game, and it dropped him to 7th place.

I honestly think Hamm deserved Gold, because he put everything he had into that competition. Maybe it does seem a little Hollywoodsy, but the other competitors truly did earn their places. Kim Dae Eun and Yang Tae-young did somewhat mediocre in comparison to everyone else throughout the course of the evening (don't get me wrong, they were still great), but that's actually what helped them to place. Too many mistakes on the parts of the other.

As for the crowds being so slim, August is the month where absolutely everyone in Greece goes vacationing, I've heard. Besides, the stands don't have to be packed to have a competetive game.
O sodales, ludite, vos qui scitis dicite michi mesto parcite, grand ey dolur, attamen consulite per voster honur.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:29 am

well, i guess it once again comes down to the intricacies of the scoring that an outsider don't know too much about. I don't mean to say he doesn't deserve the gold or that he can't win gold because it's too hollywoodsy, it's just I can't tell what I'm seeing anymore when it gets all mixed up. Or maybe I got confused about how bad the fall was to his score standing because the announcers kept saying how devestating it was.

I'm glad Carly Patterson won gold, and I'm glad Svetlana Khorkina looked happy with a silver.

I've been watching these things on NBC, but I wonder how they air it, since all the events take place many hours ago, if they put in extra stuff like hype to high-light certain things?

ThaJinx

Post by ThaJinx » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:12 am

Yeah, I'm sort of curious about that too. I'm not fond of the idea that I might be watching edited sports.
O sodales, ludite, vos qui scitis dicite michi mesto parcite, grand ey dolur, attamen consulite per voster honur.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:38 pm

I cant say I care about gymnastics at all....but I did get to see Men's Doubles Table Tennis last night....OH MAN...that is high energy, intense sporting...one Russian guy (named oddly enough Smirnoff) started sucking (he was whiffing at half the shots that he shoulda hit easily...he either got nervous, or he threw the entire match) and Hong Kong easily defeated them.....

I also got to see the US Womens softball game aginst Taiwan...those US ladies are KILLING everyone...they have thrown 7 straight shut outs, and have won something like 77 straight games over the last years...in the 7th inning, Amanda Freed made an AMAZING diving catch in center field, then she doubled off the runner at first....it was a really good game....

So what is the sport you care the LEAST about? I think mine is Equestrian....its the lamest...good to draw from for horse gestures and anatomy....but tough to sit through.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:26 pm

Dik, you told me that you can't do anything beacuse you're chained to your drawing board and now I read that you've been watching the Olympics. Softball, that's a couple hours of non-drawing time, what gives? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

sideache

Post by sideache » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:28 pm

Dik, you told me that you can't do anything beacuse you're chained to your drawing board and now I read that you've been watching the Olympics. Softball, that's a couple hours of non-drawing time, what gives? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:23 am

Softball at 3am!!!!! Thats when I take my break...and I only watch like 2 or 3 innings....

Miliucc

Post by Miliucc » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:24 am

womens water polo, Canada beat the US 6 to 5 in the last 50 seconds of game play.. great game..