anime greats

General Discussion
Patachu

Post by Patachu » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:48 am

If you liked the parody aspect of FLCL, try Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is the official English title), which was also produced by Studio GAINAX and skewers just about every major anime genre. I would not be exaggerating in saying that it is one of the landmark works of comedy.

t i m

Post by t i m » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:26 am

Okay...basically all of my favorites have been mentioned...

Ghost in the Shell

Vampire Hunter D

Ninja Scroll

Princess Monake (sp?)

Cowboy Beebop (Although I've yet to see the movie)

and of course...Akira

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:06 am

(drools)

i'm only 23, but GITS was one of the first ones.. 2 scenes come to mind as pure greatness..

one where the main character is chasing that dude in the streets and they have the battle in the market, and the second is near the end when she dukes it out with that spider tank.... amazing.

If you loved the movie, you're gonna love Ghost in the Shell:Standalone Complex.. as well as the upcoming Ghost in the Shell 2.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:54 am

Perfect Blue....watch it. It's a mix of Walt Disney and Alfred Hitchcock.

Dan

(when is Ghost in the Shell 2 coming out?)

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:11 am

http://www.innocence-movie.jp/informati ... kuho1.html

i believe this is the trailer for it.

2004 is the release date.. i think.

it's called: "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence"

cool, eh?

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:09 am

Has Anyone heard anything about an anime called 'Wonderful Days'? I just saw a trailer for it and it LOOKED pretty good...

Dan

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:18 am

Not japanese anime per se..

it's a korean creation.... from what i've heard pretty good, mundane story.. typical of a sci-fi movie.. :)

http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/ ... php?sound=

go there for synopsis info and such.

Johnny Neat

Release date?

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:38 am

When is "Wonderful Days" going to finally be released in the States? I've seen it for some time and have yet to hear concrete news. I'm expecting GITS: StandAlone Complex to be awesome. I'm so ready at anysecond to purchase the boxset of season one, but at this point I want a legit version of the boxset. Man, I remember seeing five to ten minutes of an episode at the Orlando MegaCon before people knew to much about the series feeling so desperate to see it all. But at that time there wasn't much out like I said and the disks looked to much like crappy chinese productions. The burns looked creamy, but the packages looked so rinky dinky.

Anyhow, I need a concrete release date for GITS: Stand Alone Complex Season Set and Wonderful Days' theater release date.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:01 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353014/

info on wonderful days.

(i guess linking to images on IMDB isn't allowed. hehe. oops)
Last edited by Stick on Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chukw

Post by chukw » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:57 am

Giant Robo- am I the only one who liked it? "Crush them NOW, Giant Robo!" :lol:

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:00 pm

the only "robo" i know of is RoboTech. I got the itch to watch the entire MaCross Saga again. Wow, it takes a loooooooooooooooooooong time.

Dan

Johnny Neat

Sorry about this post, but I was passionate about this...

Post by Johnny Neat » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:29 am

I'm dying to see this "Wonderful Days" flick. It looks beautiful. As far as Robotech or what's known now as Macross. I love that series or at least the first generation with Rick Hunter (My Dawg), Roy Fokker, Lynn Minmei (My first TV love (even if she was an animation) besides Penelope "Punky" Brewster and Alyssa Milano) Lisa Hayes, and company. The second generation was aight, but the third sucked hard. I have a huge space in my heart for this series, because it was the first Japanese animation to grab me and has never truly let go. I mean G.I. Joe, Transformers, Voltron (The awesome Lion one not the lame Car's in space one), Thunder Cats, Silver Hawks, etc., were popular, but Robotech showed that besides Transformers, who could do it because they were machines and not humans, could have people die tragic deaths on screen like in the Robotech. I mean they were being blasted in the ships or on land, people were disintegrated on screen, for our clean and innocent 80's American kid eyes. This series is just what I feel is the best of the best. They even had Roy having a relationship with Afro-American character Claudia Grant his fiancee. I mean I was growing up as a child in a small town in Virginia where the KKK were still trying to gather up members thinking they could stop races from mixing in the U.S. still, so imagine... Anyhow, I love Akira and as the best animation movie from Japan it wins hands down for me, but series of all time is Robotech. Plus the new and recent toys of the Robotech fighter jets are the BOMB!!! All metal and perfect transforming magic (Okay, so the new Transformers are updated and are also Metal Transforming magic), But the godless prices are crazy for Robotech stuff. I sadly have yet to grab one online from some rip-off EBayer. Argh, I need a Skull Squadron Leader Roy Fokker jet, Rick Hunter's and both Macross Plus jets as well. I can dream can't I? Sorry for the long post peeps, but can you tell I wasn't lying about the love for this series that I have?

P.s. For anyone who has yet to see the Robotech Macross series one or rather how it's called now Macross generation one, what are you waiting for? This is it…the pinnacle of Japan's influence on modern Anime fandom. This may just be an old school Japanimation junky talking to you from a time before they used that lame tagline "Anime" to sell to the new Dragon Ball Z crowd, but I want you to see it.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Yenner

Post by Yenner » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:14 am

My first "Anime" experience was GITS, and I fell in love with the stuff.

A series I enjoyed, in it's 80's-ish weirdness was Armitage.
Princess Monanoke (again with the spelling) was excellent.
It's kinda cheesy, but I really loved Burn Up: Excess, and Burn Up: W.
I've also recently rented a series called Noir, and it's.. interesting.

I have the problem that I don't seem to enjoy Anime or movies if I watch them alone, I like having a friend around, and my friends are all DragonBall junkies... *shudder*
"I am at two with nature." --Woody Allen

kingkilburn

Post by kingkilburn » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:03 am

i love your under arrest and slam dunk. gasaraki is cool to.
He who walks the white path between the rivers with a pure heart shall come to paradise.

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:06 pm

"anime" can not be a plural. So saying "animes" is wrong.

To see the trailer for Wonderful Days, go here..

http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english