What's your favorite cartoon series?

General Discussion
Dr. Worm

Post by Dr. Worm » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:55 am

I love most of the old Nickelodeon cartoons. There was this one show I loved to death, but I've forgot what it's called! I caught on Cartoon Network a year ago....

Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck are some of my favorite cartoons.
They call me Dr. Worm....good morning how are you, I'm Dr. Worm.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:37 am

Samurai Jack, hands down, is my favorite cartoon of all time. While I absolutely love the old Merrie Melodies cartoons, Looney Tunes, Silly Symphonies, and while I do think they are the best example of short cartoons to date, Samurai Jack is definitely my current favorite. It's better than any other cartoons on TV right now, and it's sad that we may not see more of it. :(

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:39 am

I adore and worship Tom and Jerry.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

RobotHero

Post by RobotHero » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:25 pm

Last edited by RobotHero on Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:43 pm

I watched all the kids shows, but nowadays the old shows like Transformers, GI Joe and Thundercats look like crap! They don't hold a flame to the Warner Brothers classics, which will always remain the tops in cartoons. Modern cartoons are so hyperreal, there are few shows with unrealistic body forms and situations that occur without explaination. Artists are limited to representing things as they are, rather than how they could be shown. Like Daffy Duck getting shot point blank and having his beak spin around his head. That just doesn't happen in kids cartoons. Every show is a mindless plot to sell toys. Rather than appease a viewing audience, the shows promote consumerism, instead of having the show disconnected, cartoons are now cross-marketing vehicles for cereals, shoes and little children's underwear. Dora the Explorer, I rebuke thee!

Hmm, I currently like Zim and several adult swim shows (mainly Aqua Teen Hunger Force).

Feel free to take this post with as many grains of salt as necessary.
"I love you like a fat kid loves cake."
-50 Cent

Dr. Worm

Post by Dr. Worm » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:27 am

You have a point. But Transformers, GI Joe and He-Man were made for the sole purpose of marketing.

Monk

Post by Monk » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:32 am

"Buy all our playsets and toys!" :P

Dr. Worm

Post by Dr. Worm » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:51 am

Plouffe

Post by Plouffe » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:19 am

wow trip back memory lane here. I used to watch alot of what was mentioned. I definetly remember watching Darkwing Duck , tail spin and transformers and all that stuff. I was a kid ijust watched any cartoon really. I also remember watching the Aladdin disney tv cartoon.

These days. I watch NARUTO , Clone wars cartoon. Pokemon hahhaha. i dont watch much tv soo im not quite sure whats on these days but those ones are the ones i watch.

VC

Post by VC » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:10 pm

I think that the first series I ever got into was the original Digimon. It's crazy, I caught an old episode on a kids channel a few weeks ago and was hypnotized. Funny thing is, I don't think I would've gotten into it if it came out now.
Current favorite series is Bebop. Gotta love Edward.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:27 pm

The revised Batman: TAS days (No yellow oval around batsymbol), and Cowboy Bebop. And Clone High was awesome.

I also love the new Teen Titans show, Powerpuff Girls, Clerks: TAS, Spongebob Squarepants, and Big O.

Here's a great flash cartoon series:
http://www.makingfiends.com

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:27 pm

All time faves that will get me to buy the DVD sets:

-G.I.Joe
-Transformers
-Ducktales
-Gargoyles (coming this fall!)
-Darkwing Duck
-Clone Wars

Secondary favorites that will make me WANT the dvd sets and if i have the money, I'll buy!

-M.A.S.K.
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Animaniacs
-Gummi Bears

I'm sure there's more....

ThaJinx

Post by ThaJinx » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:26 am

In 1999 I fell in love with Cowboy Bebop after watching only one episode. I kind of got pissed when everyone started jumping on the bandwagon in 2002 even though I'd been telling them that they needed to see it for nearly three years, har. Yoko Kanno's ability to score a show is absolutely impecable, and if Macross Plus didn't put her on the map, then this in conjuction with maybe Escaflowne certainly did. The point is that her musically exhibitionistic qualities created a soundtrack that stylistically matched the animation, characters, and stories of the series; it's definitely one of the best animated series' I've ever seen, and to this day it's still my favorite.

I'll never forget the butterflies in my stomach the first time I watched the pause in the fight in "Session 26: The Real Folk Blues - Pt. 2." Man, you could stand a fork in the tension caused by those five seconds...

frak

Gargoils

Post by frak » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:38 am

Gargoils ALL THE WAY!!!
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:08 pm

As a kid i watched and loved every thing. From the vantage of my college years though i have to say Tale Spin is just amazing and Animainiacs/Freakazoid/Pinky and the Brain are just non stop rapid fire, especially animainiacs. Angry Beavers was one of the best.
As for shows still being made, Fillmore on disney channel is weaseling its way into my heart, its not particularly good but it carries itself with a certain dignity.