Are all of you full time artists?

General Discussion
stickyfish

Are all of you full time artists?

Post by stickyfish » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 am

Are you guys full time illustrators/comic artists for a living? I've seen some impressive stuff and just was wondering. Well, I know Kazu is but what about the rest of you?

Full time, I'm a web designer even though I love illustration more... but it pays the bills for me to work on my illos at night.

Mr. Average

Re: Are all of you full time artists?

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm an architect. I don't know if that counts. I consider it a kind of applied art - not really "Art" art, but kind of half-breed, when all the engineering and such is added into the mix. Comics are what I do to relax. If you could call it that.

--M
Image Image

kstipetic

Post by kstipetic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 am

I'm just out of college and trying to break in to the comic world. I work on comics and illustration full-time, and while it does earn me some money, it's not enough to pay the bills yet. Luckily, my husband has a job as a teacher and is able to support us.

ps - Architecture is totally art! At least, I think it's beautiful...

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:38 pm

trying to get there! I end up doing a lot of motion graphics freelance to pay the bills, but I'm slowly getting more and more jobs doing stuff for animation, which is what I really want to do.
I keep a sketchblog here

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 am

Not a full time artist. I do work a lot of freelance work. by day however, I'm a stock broker and work in investment guidance. I actually get a lot of work done, surprisingly for what I do all day. lol

Joost

Post by Joost » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm

ICT consultant by day, comic maker by night. I guess there are very few people who can actually make a living of making comics.

stickyfish

Post by stickyfish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, it sounds hard to be a comic artist full time but it's cool to see that everyone can make the time for comics even tho it doesn't pay the bills. That's true love to me! :wink:

PerryDS

Post by PerryDS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 am

I operate a full time design business. Manage and coordinate Flash projects, do 3D modeling, website design, print design and illustration. Have been working on a graphic novel, but it is a challenge to find the motivation to solely focus on it and get it done. Last few years has been very good biz wise, but the realities of the shifting economy are beginning to creep in.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Officially, as in on paper, I'm designated as a Marine Corps Combat Photographer, though in practical application I also do fill in the role of a Combat Illustrator. Right now I'm doing mostly photography (which is fine, since I get lots of down time to draw my own stuff at work on my fancy DoD-provided Cintiq), though when I deploy I'll most likely be doing a lot of both. So yeah, I kind of work full time as an artist still.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:40 am

I did freelance illustration full-time for a few months right out of university. The job didn't jive too well with me. I'm just not a business man and the business side is really the make or break issue for freelancing. I did alright but the level of stress involved was too much for me to handle. It wasn't fun.

Right now I work a bullshit nothing job to pay the bills and continue to toil away at a 3 years in the making graphic novel. I suppose I could get a job doing full-time graphic design, but I am concerned that if I commit to that, I will not longer have the motivation to get right back on the computer after work to write comics. It's easier if the money job has nothing to do with art for this reason.

kennethhunter

Post by kennethhunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:53 pm

I will be soon but I'm still working on the fundamentals, mastering those babies. I lift boxes for a living. It's not stressful and it doesn't drain your energy too much!