San Diego Con

General Discussion
Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed May 26, 2004 4:19 pm

Hehe. Also cue the hazy cinematography and cheesy voiceover...

:D

EQ

Post by EQ » Wed May 26, 2004 5:26 pm

haha :D

t i m

Post by t i m » Thu May 27, 2004 1:02 am

maaannn.....California gets all the cool stuff...poop.

I used to go to the Chicago Comic Con all the time when I was a kid...

I grew up in the era of the GREAT Jim Lee..I picked up X-men #1 and was "Oh my [email protected] God"....

I still read my old comic collection...I have like 500...brings back great memories..

wait this post ahd nothing to do with the Con...bah..sorry got sidetracked..

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu May 27, 2004 1:29 pm

t i m wrote:maaannn.....California gets all the cool stuff...poop..
Hehe... i never thought of poop as cool stuff, but yah. :wink:

rodguen

Post by rodguen » Fri May 28, 2004 11:59 am

Do you all know where your tables will be?
I can't remember if they give maps ,in order to
find people.
I may be there on friday and saturday.

r.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri May 28, 2004 12:10 pm

I haven't been informed of the location yet, Rodolphe. The Flight booth will be in the Image section, so we should be somewhere in the middle of the floor...

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun May 30, 2004 4:45 pm

rodguen wrote:Do you all know where your tables will be?
I can't remember if they give maps ,in order to
find people.
I may be there on friday and saturday.

r.
They had maps last year that showed every single booth, who was where, and there was even an alphabetical index. I'm sure they'll have those again this year.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon May 31, 2004 6:45 am

Yup, you should get this huge fold out map with all the booths and tables indicated when you get your con badge. Though the exhibitors should get it beforehand sometime in June.

Bring a magnifying glass ( :wink: )and a hilighter for the ones you will want to spot at first glance. Last year it took me a day to find the booth of Eric Shanower again because I didn't have the map with me.

Flight will have its booth in the Image area? Niiiiice :D

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:55 am

A question to all the SDCC veterans: what's a typical number of (mini)comics moved at this week-long event? I ask because I have about 40 copies of my own comic for SDCC, and I'm not sure if I should run back and print up a bunch more for the trip down. What's a good number for handing out to people, selling to passerbys, etc.?

Obviously, I'm basically a nobody compared to the other people that are going to the con, but I'd definitely like to get an idea of the number of comics sold by anyone, just so I can try to gauge how many copies of my own comic I'll need.

(Kazu, are we even going to be allowed to sell non-Image stuff at the Flight table?)

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:14 am

Kean, I don't know if my experience is typical, but...

Last year I walked around with about a 100 mini comics in tow. I didn't have a table and was free of movement. I wasn't carrying them all at the same time mind you (Ow my poor back), but I was carrying about 30 a day over 4 days.
When I came back home, I had between 35-25 left (memory a bit hazy). I gave most of those away, and sold maybe...10? Ha! Didn't make any money, but it was all for promotion (and it paid a small lunch...stay away from Con food!!!) Managed to do quite a few nice swaps too.

This year I have a table in Small Press (blah, but cheap), and I should be bringing about 150-200 copies of each (I'm an optimist ain't I?). I'll be moving less, but I do hope to have the chance to do more swap, and definitely giving away some more.

Just do a quick list of the people you intend to give copies too (pros, friends you'll meet, etc...), then think of all the possible contacts, swaps, sales, etc, and add together.
I'd guess in the range of 75-100 copies should do the trick.
(and keep a copy for me please!)
Heck, there was something like 75 000 visitors last year. Plenty of people to give-sell to.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:14 pm

Nofret's numbers are almost identical to mine...Last year I had 100, and I gave away something like 50-60...This year I am thinking of printing like 250, but I don't expect on getting rid of more than 100...but maybe I will, I hope :)

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:46 pm

Those numbers of people and comics sold are f'n great. I've only gone to local cons here in Florida (Orlando's Mega Con being always a must), but we have always sold out of our books at our booths, so I'm glad to here I could make a nice sweep there at the San Diego Con. This time a professional print run of 200 will be done for a four issue special trade of the first half of the 1st Galaxy Kid series arc. This should be hot and should sell like before, unless the San Diego crowd is different. I also planned to give them to all Flight peeps for a gander and exchange of opinions for nice conversations and first time meetings.

Hope everyone has the best of luck with their books and projects at the con. Should be a good experience.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:01 pm

Johane and Dik: Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences. It's extremely helpful and much appreciated from a con virgin like myself.

Looks like I'll have to go print off another small run of my comic...

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:08 am

Does anyone have an extra pass to the Con :?:
If so, can ya hook a dude up :?:

Thanx 8)
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

agremar

Post by agremar » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:56 am

I'd be great if everyone who's in the forum that's going to the con could get together for a drink to celebrate the release of Flight :)