San Diego Con

General Discussion
peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Thu May 06, 2004 6:22 pm

ahaha...i am pretty sure i am going. i am dragging my friend along, and the both of us have this extremely long list of comics we have to buy. and, no surprise, Flight is at the top of my list. of course, i'm going to have to get everything autographed, and hopefully i'll have enough money, cause high school students aren't exactly rich.
can't wait to meet people there!
oh, and do you have to reserve tickets to get in, or can you buy em at the door?

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Thu May 06, 2004 6:48 pm

I just changed positions at work. I may have to change my vacation because of it. :(

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri May 07, 2004 5:54 am

Ganter & Mikie

You guys should definitely try & make it.
I feel both of your situations, but then again this "The Con" "The Mecca of Cons" :shock:

Peng8noodles
Do you have to reserve tickets to get in, or can you buy them at the door :?:
Good freak'n question. One I would like to know as well, if it comes down to that.
Does anyone know :?:
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri May 07, 2004 11:53 am

Johnny Mercury wrote: Peng8noodles
Do you have to reserve tickets to get in, or can you buy them at the door :?:
Good freak'n question. One I would like to know as well, if it comes down to that.
Does anyone know :?:
In the past, you have been able to do both. Can't see any reason for this to change. I would suggest buying tickets in advance though, because the line is always loooooong and it really sucks to wait to get in any more than you have to.

Oh, and yeah. I will do my best to make it. Might have to just be a quick weekend, but it's still better than staying home.

EQ

Post by EQ » Sun May 23, 2004 9:18 pm

does anyone know anbody who is getting a table and needs someone to go in with them on it? just wondering.

Woody

Re: Cool

Post by Woody » Mon May 24, 2004 1:03 am

Johnny Mercury wrote:Huge huh?! I hope so.
I hope to meet a lot of people and finally close the deal or make a new one so Galaxy Kid Productions can have an official home. Hope I meet you there.
It is crazy huge. Try 80,000 people - no exaggeration. Thankfully it's rather easy to navigate because the SD Convention Center is one gigantor-sized room as opposed to several large halls like, for instance, the LA Convention Center. Last year everything was pretty much on the ground level with the exception of most of the movie/anime screenings and panel sessions, which were on the 2nd level. It's just... pure madness!

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon May 24, 2004 6:29 am

Ka Woody -
Wow man.
That sounds out of control.
I can't wait.

Scott McCloud

You Should Go

Post by Scott McCloud » Mon May 24, 2004 8:11 am

Neil, Hope & anyone else who hasn't been before:

Larry Marder once called San Diego "The Gathering of the Tribes" and that pretty much sums it up. Despite the 80,000 people, you will find a lot of kindred spirits and probably walk away with some lifelong memories. In the age of cell phones, dinners are smart mobs of semi-organized chaos, but sub-groups inevitably find their shape pretty quickly. Whole careers and even lives have been guided by relationships started at San Diego.

I'm not sure why, but I'm convinced that 2004 will be an especially important Con. I'd strongly encourage everybody to make it if you can. Hotels are slammed, but I'll bet you could work out arrangements here on this board to stay with friends or share a Motel 6 by the airport or something.

Ivy and I have been to every SDCC since 1987, except for 1995 when the Con fell on our daughter Winter's delivery date. Winter didn't arrive during the weekend, but on Monday, friends Kurt Busiek and Neil Gaiman stopped in Thousand Oaks to visit, and Ivy went into labor at dinner. We went to the midwife at 11:30 pm and Ivy gave birth just a few hours later as Neil and our friend Krystal tossed our then-2 year-old daughter Sky up and down while singing the opening number from Sweeney Todd.

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 24, 2004 8:58 am

I can't make it, but I hope that everyone that does go has a safe and great time. :)

Dan

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon May 24, 2004 9:13 am

Hey Scott, darn good reason to skip a con!

I didn't know your daughter's name was Winter. My daughter's middle name is Summer (she was born on the Summer solstice).

I'll be trucking all around the con this year, trying to meet everybody I can, carrying Gina's World around with me for anyone who'd care to take a peek at the 130 pg. WIP, buying a couple copies of Flight to share with friends, finally meeting Kean, all sorts of exciting stuff.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon May 24, 2004 10:24 am

WOW, thanx for leaving a post here Scott.
I hope to meet a lot of folks there to see what happens from the meets.
I especially want top meet in person all the cool people on this site there in SD. If I'm lucky I'll get to me you as well.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed May 26, 2004 10:23 am

Should be there again this year, with a table for the first time. No longer walking around.
So I'll be in the small press area, where there isn't much traffic. Blah. Ah well, economics rules, and the tables are the cheapest.
Guess I'll be doing some walking around anyway. Best way to meet up with people.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed May 26, 2004 12:42 pm

Woo hoo! I was able to get a score on a press pass. I'll be there for sure now!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed May 26, 2004 4:04 pm

Hey Scott! :D

I think this year's gonna be great... It's been a long time since I looked forward to something like this. The last time I felt this way, I was in grade school, yearning for the summer, so my friends and I could go make R/C car tracks in the dirt fields, or we'd spend all our mornings at the beach... sigh... the memories... :D

enrico

Post by enrico » Wed May 26, 2004 4:10 pm

cue violins ...

:roll:

:wink:

E
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------