Which Cintiq?

General Discussion
thirdeyeh

Which Cintiq?

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I've asked a few others for their thoughts on this and was wondering from others who have used the cintiq which they think is a more solid purchase, the 12in or the 21in model? I am closing in on having enough stowed away to purchase the 12in version, but am debating on whether the extra grand it costs for the 21in model is worth it. Any thoughts everyone has would appreciated!

jcaffoe

Re: Which Cintiq?

Post by jcaffoe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I had to go from the 21" at the studio back to my 12" when I went home for Christmas, and I can tell you it is absolutely 100% worth it to pay the extra grand for the bigger model. You'll get straighter lines, better color, and better pen accuracy.

The 12" is great as a cheap, portable solution, but if you're not traveling with it and keeping it in the office, it's definitely worth waiting and picking up the larger model. The smaller one was great when I was a student and had to travel back and forth between school and home, but now that I'm in one place I'm really glad I have a larger one to work on.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 am

I was thinking of our conversation earlier and thinking that the 12in would be just fine. Glad to hear your feedback now that you've jumped between the two. From everything I've heard around the interwebs, the 12in is nice, but no cigar compared to the 21in.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Get the bigger one, Michael. The people I know who have the smaller one seem pretty underwhelmed with it. I think once Wacom can make it more portable (no crazy output box with its myriad of cords), it might be worth owning. For portability, though, I find the tablet to be a much better option for now.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks, Kazu. I'll just keep saving up. :D

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:13 pm

I use the 21" monster at work and it is amazing.

For my own personal at-home stuff I still go old school and use a good old Wacom Intuos, which I actually work a bit faster with than a Cintiq. But there is something inherently amazing about Cintiques. But yeah, get the big version. Chances are you'll be using it for like 10 years (I used my first tablet for over 6 years, and it only stopped working cause a dog chewed the cord!), so I can only imagine how long something as top quality as a Cintiq would last. It's worth it to get the big version.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Just noticed there's a "new" redesigned cintiq 21ux. http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux-whats-new.php 2048 levels of pressure, new tip sensor, rear touchstrip, more buttons.... small improvements. :l

Wished they would make it lighter or thinner. Or some medium model between the 12wx and 21ux. Something like a 16-17 incher would be great at $1499.