Tablet PCs

General Discussion
geoff_sebesta

Tablet PCs

Post by geoff_sebesta » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Hello there, I'm planning to buy a second tablet PC and I'm looking for recommendations. As an artist on a budget, I will be purchasing a used computer on craigslist and setting aside a couple hundred for repairs with whatever's wrong with it . :)

With that in mind, what sort of tablet PC works best for you? Which companies are best, worst? I have a Gateway M275 and I love it with all my heart and soul; seriously I've never been as close to a chunk of plastic as I am to this computer. I've had it for three years and it's just fine, I don't really need another, I just want something faster and with a better screen.

Here's what I don't like about the M275:

The screen is <i>very</i> wonky when it comes to color and viewing angle. It's totally different any way you look at it. Parts of the screen are getting worn out or blown out or something.
Screen is also a little small.
You can only get 80 gigs of storage in it
It was made in 2004, and it's a pretty slow computer for heavy image processing. 1.5 GHz, 1 gig of ram, and that's all you can put in it.

Here's what I like about the M275

It's indestructable.
It works really, really good.
It runs Tablet XP. I am not interested in ever using Vista. Ever.
It's the finest art supply every known to man. Seriously, if Rembrandt or Da Vinci walked in here right now and saw me with this thing, they'd kill me to take it and never feel bad about it.
It opens up entirely new forms of image and storytelling.
I've taken it with me everywhere for three years, including four long-distance bicycle trips, and it never breaks. Once when I was hitchhiking in Wyoming something hit my backpack hard enough to shatter the power supply, but the computer was untouched.
I love it.