Line Testing and other animation software/tools

General Discussion
Ashwara

Line Testing and other animation software/tools

Post by Ashwara » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I'm just trying to find out what other people use for animation particularly for software. The school I'm at now uses Toki line test, which is really buggy and clunky. I'm hoping there is something better out there, which you guys might know about.

I'm also wondering what people use for colouring and compositing, and doing effects like screen gradients, glowing, etc.

All this, of course, is in reference to traditional animation. I know how to do all of it in flash but I want to do traditional animation, and then just fill in flat colours and effects digitally.

Anything you guys know about would be helpful.

ZooRocket

Post by ZooRocket » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:14 pm

I have played around with Pencil for a little bit on linux box. Its open source so free to use. I havnt done enough to find any bugs, but seamed stable to me.

You can do both straight had drawing or vector animation.

You can find it here: http://www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil/

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm

At my school we used ToonBoom Digital Pro for all the coloring and stuff and AfterEffects for the compositing. ToonBoom is nice because when you color something, you can later change that color in the color list, and it will change all instances of that color. It makes changes so much easier.
I keep a sketchblog here

Blom

Post by Blom » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:20 am

The people behind ToonBoom was also the people who made the traditional animation testing and coloring tool. Went to there site, it looks like they got a line test tool. I think the people/company behind ToonBoom was the one who also made the traditional line test tool and coloring tool for the industry. So I guess they will be a good choice.

I am making a small short, and I am using Photoshop to color every image. But I guess that if it is for a bigger production it may take you more time to use Photoshop and AfterEffects. I use Photoshop for my little film to get they right style for it, but it is a very short film.

Some links:
www.awn.com Animation World Net
www.toonboom.com
Tor Harald Blom

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:49 am

suprised i didn't see this earlier. moved to the hotel.

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 pm

I was thinking of using toon boom; you you guys know if I can get a live feed from a camera in toon boom studio?