Small Press Expo 2008

General Discussion
Harry Myland (IV)

Small Press Expo 2008

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:41 pm

Anyone going to SPX? Me and my fellow comic pal Josh Hechinger will be, and I was curious to see if anyone from these happenin' forums are too. I hear SPX is a real laid back, fun con. So you should come if you can, and have fun, and be laid back and junk.

Here's the website if you're unaware or interested in this hip indie con: http://www.spxpo.com/

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 am

Dave and I will be there with the Comics Bakery! http://www.comicsbakery.com

Og

Post by Og » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm goin'...
ImageImage

Kid Galactus

Post by Kid Galactus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm going... on a related note, anybody need/ok with having a roommate (hotelmate?) for the con?
http://spencerranch.wordpress.com
-Every Damned Day: A daily sketchblog

http://kidgalactus.deviantart.com
- Kid on Deviantart

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 pm

I'ma going! :D
Remember to breathe.....

Chris Schweizer

Post by Chris Schweizer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm going... driving, actually, because the United merge screwed up my miles and Amtrak was sold out. So it's a thirteen hour car trip! Bleh.

I can't wait. Hey, have they announced the Ignatz nominees? The show's only a month away.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:28 pm

I'll be there! I just ordered more copies of Tales of Unusual Circumstance for the show, and in the week or two I'll be putting together more Cavemen in Space minis. I'll also have plenty of The Ride Home and I think one copy of Flight 5 in case anyone here hasn't picked THAT up yet! :wink:

I'll be sharing some tables with Drew Weing, (hopefully) Patrick Dean, and David Yoder, and maybe some other cool folks. David should have copies of his new Elephano anthology, which is shaping up to be a realllly nice book. I'll post more on that later...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Chris Schweizer wrote:I'm going... driving, actually, because the United merge screwed up my miles and Amtrak was sold out. So it's a thirteen hour car trip! Bleh.
Yikes! And I thought my 2 and a half hour drive was going to be a chore!

Hopefully see some of you cool cats there. :)

Chris Schweizer

Post by Chris Schweizer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm gonna be tabling with Oni this time, partially because the new book is premiering, but partially because I really don't want to have to pay for a table.

Not that SPX is all that pricy - for what you're getting (a very secific target audience, if you make the sorts of comics that the attendees like) - though I've heard MOCCA is actually cheaper. Is that true? I know I spent way more at Mocca, but that's probably because the city is so much more expensive.

thedeafguy

Post by thedeafguy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:59 am

I wish I had gone to Mocca...oh well. next time.

As for SPX...i'm hoping there's going to be a bit more people than Fluke...

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:36 am

thedeafguy wrote:I wish I had gone to Mocca...oh well. next time.

Oh yeah, way more people than FLUKE :P

Anyway! Time for a more full response!

I'll be at table B1-2 with Michele Chidester, David Yoder, Drew Weing, and hopefully others! We'll be right around the corner (and across the aisle) from Oni, and right next to some fellow SCAD students Falynn Koch and Pranus Navjokaitis!

I will have the same offerings that I had at MoCCA -- The Ride Home, Tales of Unusual Circumstance, and the Cavemen in Space mini-comic. And debuting at the show is....

The Elephano Anthology!!! You may have heard about this book last year when David Yoder (who partially conceived this project, and is the head dude over the thing) was dashing around like a madman inviting contributors and spreading the word... Well, the book is scheduled to be out and available at the show! From what I've seen this book is gonna be pretty awesome...I don't have a full list of cartoonists in the book, but I can throw a few out there: David Yoder, Joey Weiser (me!), Jason Rainey, Douglas Frey, JP Coovert!

So yeah, I have a new story in that, based off of my own personal experience working in a magic shop while I was in Savannah... Come by the table and say "hi!"
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Chris Schweizer

Post by Chris Schweizer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:29 pm

thedeafguy wrote:I wish I had gone to Mocca...oh well. next time.

Hey, Tyler, you're taking Amtrak, right? Allen and I are both, it turns out, on the Thursday night train; if you're on it, too, we'll buddy up in the dining car!

thedeafguy

Post by thedeafguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:21 pm

I believe my train is on Friday night. I'll be arriving into DC on Saturday about around 10am-ish.

Yes, I know. But look at it this way, you won't get into trouble, heh, as long as you're not with me...

last time...got into trouble for trying to get into the wrong...car. heh.

see you there.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:06 pm

SPX was super fun and I am so going back next year - it was nice meeting some of you too!
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

thedeafguy

Post by thedeafguy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

had a blast in DC, saw some old friends and made some new friends. highly recommendable. Next time, I'm getting myself a table!