For the warmongering artists...

General Discussion
SonOfaRich

For the warmongering artists...

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:32 am

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1069351

Now i'm in the mood for some Counter Strike, Ghost Recon, and Desert Combat.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:46 am

Ugh.. I'm in the mood to vomit on the flag.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:53 am

Neil wrote:Ugh.. I'm in the mood to vomit on the flag.
Haha!

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:02 pm

SonofaRich, I don't know if you were being sarcastic up there, making a point about the nature of our society's entertainment, but that really comes off as in bad taste. If I'm just reading you wrong, I'm sorry.

I really hate anything that lionizes any activity that comes with a body count. The guy they interviewed really upsets me. I really hate how our country can consider high bodycounts worthy of celebration.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:12 pm

I think this topic can get way too heated, way too fast....be careful what you all type here, religion and politics are not good topics to be discussing.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:07 pm

Hoo boy, this thread is already at a combustion point!

Religion and politics may not be good topics to discuss but they are quite neccessary to discuss. Change only comes through the free exchange of ideas and opinions. As long as arguements are in this spirit, all is well. It's only bad when it becomes a righteous flame war.

I am worried about the snipers mindset on his job though. It seems as though he enjoys his task instead of it being the sometimes neccessary but unpleasant duty that comes with armed conflict (as I see it).

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:53 pm

Mothos wrote:I am worried about the snipers mindset on his job though. It seems as though he enjoys his task instead of it being the sometimes neccessary but unpleasant duty that comes with armed conflict (as I see it).
Reminds me of what a psychiatrist friend of mine told me once in all seriousness, that certain personality disorders actually become assets in the military, and the military with it's structures and rules is a place where some people whose psychiatric disabilities would get them into constant trouble in the broader society really shine there.

Now, I do have friends in the military and I mean them no disrespect, I certainly don't think it's a large percentage of military personell who have personality disorders. But maybe this guy is one.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:15 pm

A reason not to vomit on the flag. (the Tuesday April 20th post)

edit: Here's the article that accompanied the photo.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:35 pm

"Mothos" = Religion and politics may not be good topics to discuss but they are quite neccessary to discuss. Change only comes through the free exchange of ideas and opinions. As long as arguements are in this spirit, all is well. It's only bad when it becomes a righteous flame war.

Agree 100%

As an outsider, I hate to admit my disgust towards those who sent your boys and girls over seas to die for lies and equivocations.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:22 pm

As an outsider, I hate to admit my disgust towards those who sent your boys and girls over seas to die for lies and equivocations.
Uh, Canada's got some troops over there too. Not in a front line capacity, but there's a handful of frigates stationed in the Gulf providing backup and behind the scene's support. The government and the major news sources just never talk about it.

Oooh check this out: The Iraq-o-meter!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:50 pm

Jason C-M wrote:Reminds me of what a psychiatrist friend of mine told me once in all seriousness, that certain personality disorders actually become assets in the military, and the military with it's structures and rules is a place where some people whose psychiatric disabilities would get them into constant trouble in the broader society really shine there.

Now, I do have friends in the military and I mean them no disrespect, I certainly don't think it's a large percentage of military personell who have personality disorders. But maybe this guy is one.
Military service gives some people personality disorders as well; or can at least catalyze latent disorders. Someone I knew was in Special Forces in Viet Nam. I'm not sure if he's alive today as he had a complete mental breakdown in the early 90's and vanished. Had there been honesty about what happened in that war I think many of the problems returning vets had would have been ameliorated. If there is no honesty about this war then there will be another generation of enotionally and mentally crippled individuals coming bac--only to be abandoned by the same government that fucked them in the first place.

O

Post by O » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:52 pm

Last post was me. Forgot I hadn't signed in. Sorry.
"...footballs of entagled centuries would burn out in the sparks of bubbling light waves."
--Kazimir Malevich, 1918

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:28 am

Anonymous wrote: Military service gives some people personality disorders as well; or can at least catalyze latent disorders. Someone I knew was in Special Forces in Viet Nam. I'm not sure if he's alive today as he had a complete mental breakdown in the early 90's and vanished. Had there been honesty about what happened in that war I think many of the problems returning vets had would have been ameliorated. If there is no honesty about this war then there will be another generation of enotionally and mentally crippled individuals coming bac--only to be abandoned by the same government that fucked them in the first place.
Those aren't technically personality disorders, they're a different class of psychiatric disability, but I get what you're saying. And yeah, I've met a couple of vets whose psyche's are way worse for the wear.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:42 am

Mothos wrote:
Uh, Canada's got some troops over there too. Not in a front line capacity, but there's a handful of frigates stationed in the Gulf providing backup and behind the scene's support. The government and the major news sources just never talk about it.

Oooh check this out: The Iraq-o-meter!
We are in Afghanistan, that I know. Canada isn't part of the coalition. I was looking to see our troops in there. Can you find me a link, please? I know that my PM said no to go there.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:04 am

Oh, sorry if I implied that there are Canadian forces in Iraq itself (there are some but they are 'exchange troops' on loan to the U.S. - just a handful though - and not considered as actual Canadian Forces). What we have are frigates stationed off shore (there in case Canada feels it needs to take action) and scout planes watching for... whatever scout planes look for.

Check this out. Make sure you check out the photo gallery. There is some very graphic images in there that you won't see on most news channels.