Making a Living at this...

General Discussion
JGrubber

Making a Living at this...

Post by JGrubber » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Strange question, but are many of us here making any sort of a living doing what we love (drawing books/comics etc.)

If not what do you do in your other life?

Me- I am an elementary/middle school teacher- which explains why i want to draw/write history comics...

How about you?

inverce

Post by inverce » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:32 pm

until recently i worked in a comic shop (for about 7 years). unfortunately, i was just comfortable enough to not have the real drive i needed to try to make a go with my artwork. After working a miserable stint in a call center i had a real motivator to start sending out submissions and looking into agents!

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:42 pm

inverce wrote: After working a miserable stint in a call center i had a real motivator to start sending out submissions and looking into agents!
That'll do it every time. I'm in a call centre now - it's a great motivator for making you think about where you wank to work for the rest of your life
ImageImage

rohwer

Post by rohwer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Azzamckazza wrote:
inverce wrote: After working a miserable stint in a call center i had a real motivator to start sending out submissions and looking into agents!
That'll do it every time. I'm in a call centre now - it's a great motivator for making you think about where you wank to work for the rest of your life
I have been a manager in a call center for four years and half of my staff are great artists. What is it about call centers and artists?

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:09 am

its because we can draw whilst talking or waiting for the next call. That's what Im doing now! lol. Though I do like my job, I think I get an oppurtunity to make a difference in people's lives. That hasn't stopped from putting pen to paper though.

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am

I'm a previz animator for a feature film. My real love though is writing and drawing my own stories as comics. Not sure how realistic it is to believe that one day I'll be able to do it as my full-time job.

I'd be curious to know if anyone on this board has been able to make comics a full-time career for themselves. Anyone?
Last edited by briantaylor on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm a graphic designer. Mostly, we deal with typography, shape, color, etc. Not so much Illustration, but I love drawing though.

PerryDS

Post by PerryDS » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:46 pm

I work primarily in the design and interactive media biz. I do a lot of projects that require illustration work. Mostly resources for k-12 curriculum.

I'm mondo busy, and there doesn't seem to be any shortage of work.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:19 am

I do make a living drawing comics, but sadly I have to admit that if it were not for the Amulet movie deal, I would barely be getting by right now (and I think I'm one of the better-paid comics guys). Before comics, I worked in animation (graphic design before that), making a decent living, and when I switched over to comics full-time, I actually had zero income from my projects. It was sort of a leap of faith. I still haven't been paid a dime for my work on Daisy Kutter, and I don't pay myself for my work on Flight, but all of that led to Amulet, which does pay relatively well (for being a comic book). Best not to get into this for the money, as most of you probably know, but if you draw pages well and fast and are willing to push yourself to the limit, people will be there to back you up financially to help see you go all the way.

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:48 am

I'm doing a graphic novel right now and it's quite the long daunting (but rewarding) task. I now make most of my income illustrating children's picture books and writing/illustrating my own picture books. I can't say this would have been possible 4 years ago but now I can get a pretty sizeable advance to take care of my family and home expenses. My wife works as well and that's where I get my health and dental benefits. I worked in the video game industry for 6 and I honestly have to say that coming home after a full day was exhausting and my work suffered for it to a certain degree. I also used to dabble in TV animation but now it's just picture books, chapter books, and the occasional editorial and ad job. Work your way up to it. You'll get there eventually.
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 pm

I work in a mail room, er *achem* I mean, "Media Distribution Center." I you can see the office where I work heavily referenced in my Tree Frog story from Superior Showcase #2. At least I got a good story out of it, right?
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:34 pm

I make a living drawing my comics, but financially, I'm only just barely scraping by, even with a book that is doing fairly well, sales-wise.

As Kazu and many other people have said before, making a living off of comics is really only for people that really, really love the work, or are clinically insane (I probably fall into the latter category).

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Kazu and Kean: What are your thoughts on the way you see the market moving in general with comics? I was talking with a friend at work today who reads my online comic and we were talking about how difficult it is to try and get work out at a reasonable pace when you have to work full-time. I'm cool with paying my dues, even just having my comics suplement my income in the near future. But after reading and following the production on Amulet, is it even reasonable to think you could have a book deal, get the book out and keep a day job? Do you think the market will open up for a more prosperous career in comics with mainstream publishers carrying comics?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I try not to think too much about where the industry or market is headed. In some ways, I feel like one of the pace cars in the industry's race to figure out just how this market CAN work, so I'm just producing material until something clicks. What I do know is that if you create something great, and you can keep producing it consistently, there is no way you can fail (under any market conditions), since there will be people there to back up your efforts. Best to just keep that in mind, put your head down, and draw as much as you can.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:40 am

Agreed fine sir. Now back to the drawing board for me.