Scripting and writing

General Discussion
b.patrick

Post by b.patrick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Tony wrote:
b.patrick wrote:For me I "think" in comics and so to translate them into a script and then back to comics seems unnecessary and even detrimental.
...Unless you'd like to be able to share the story with someone else without having to finish it first.
Yes, it would be impossible for anyone but me to understand my thumbnails. I'd probably write up a synopsis or outline to share the story-- I'm curious, does anyone think taking the extra step of writing out a "screenplay" type full script is crucial? Are people making vital discoveries and changes by taking this step? Or is it just a case of "whatever you're comfortable with"?

Og

Post by Og » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:42 pm

I agree that Stephen King's On Writing is a fantastic How To manual for creative types, specifically writers.

Most important advice in the book, I think:

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There’s no way around these two things that I’m aware of, no shortcuts. If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write. It's as simple as that."

And now, my take: we all come to the land of the writer through reading (and that language is thanks to King, but I subscribe to it). I think that if you do read a lot - and it can be novels, graphic novels, webcomics, whatever - and then you set about writing, you'll develop your process naturally. And it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says about it. Your way only has to work for you. If you wind up with a set of gorgeous, well written pages at the end of your process, that is the only thing that matters.
ImageImage

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:02 pm

I think the main advantage of doing a script is that it enables you to, as another said, share your work with others before thumb-nailing and to revise it, as you word a normal piece of literature.

The thing with my thumbnails is that they're so vague, I'm the only one who could understand them so I can't show people those if I want feedback.

Or course I can understand why it may be detrimental to script before hand: it might make it less organic. But that's why I try to take a happy medium, scripting out but being open to change in my thumbnails. as Joey said.

But yeah it's definitely important to read a lot, and not only novels, comics too and even watching films is important. Lucky for me I read and watch a lot of films, since I'm going to school for animation and not creative writing, ha ha.

Sskessa

Post by Sskessa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 am

Og wrote: Most important advice in the book, I think:

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."
It's good advice. I used to think that only creating was important, but my writing professor completely changed my opinion when he had us analyze the techniques various authors were using to create the effect they wanted. Now I can't read a book, watch a movie or read a comic without analyzing how they did it.

The problem I had with outlines when I tried doing them is that you don't know what kind of people your characters are at first. I kept running into scenes I had planned which no longer fit with who the characters were. So now I write scenes in prose so I can put them in lots of different situations in a relatively short amount of time. I haven't yet tried converting it back to comics, so I don't know if it will work. Has anyone else tried planning their comic in prose?

DarkWriter31

Post by DarkWriter31 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:03 am

There's a book called "Writing Comics" that was written by Denny O'Neil who wrote and edited Batman for years. He gives examples and shows pages of scripts.

It's been very usefull to me as an aspiring screenwriter to see how a story like that is brought to life.

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)