Starting as a comic publisher...(maybe)

General Discussion
AlexB

Starting as a comic publisher...(maybe)

Post by AlexB » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi all,

I started this topic in this section and hope it is at it's place.

Last few years I have been playing with the idea to start a comic publishing company in Europe (I am based in Belgium myself) with only European talent and stories.
I am convinced there is enough talent and a good base to have enough resources to make strong stories. It only seemed a too big a project to begin with, even with the help that some people out the Belgian strip (same as graphical novels, but different format and frequency) scene have offered.

But now I see an oppurtunity to make this dream come true. The Belgian goverment has set up a project/contest to make a businessplan for starters and get along the project help from banks and companies like McKinsey&Company and such.

Now if possible I wanted some help from your community. One of the reasons I am afraid to really start this is because I don't want to dissapoint the scenarists and artists that will deliver the work and because I need realistic numbers in my businessplan. So I wanted to ask you what you think is a fair deal for a starting company to make with the creative people. Basically what is a normal price for page/story/project and what about the percentages of the sales afterwards. From what I already read about it I know it greatly differs from our kind of contracts here in Belgium.

Also all the other advice and things to keep in mind of are welcome.

If this questions are unappropiate and to direct. then my apologies for this and please rbe free to remove the topic.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:00 pm

This belongs in the hotel adriano, so i'll move that there for you. welcome to the flight boards though!

AlexB

Post by AlexB » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Tnx Kazu
I find something good for a signature next time.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:50 pm

AlexB wrote:Tnx Kazu
uh no problem? lol

well i guess I should be flattered being mistaken for kazu. haha.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Thnx Stick.

AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Sorry Stick and Kazu
And Tnx Stick.

In the meantime I have to say that starting this week I send out mails and posts asking for info.
And I amazed how quickly companies like the printers and diamond reply and give detailed info that I needed about printing and distribution.

Sadly I still don't have a lot of figures and ideas about the creative side the only things I have to go on is what I got from websites and some published recources but they are all dated.
An extra question I got now is especially about creator right and percentages if it might go digital or ideas around it. Since I don't think this is in most current contracts but since it is going to play a greater part in the future I should calculate it in my costs.