Another Blue Pencil Question

General Discussion
Karp

Another Blue Pencil Question

Post by Karp » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:30 pm

I recently started drawing my comics in photo-blue pencil. I was aware that it would scan, but was sure that I would be able to easily eliminate it in Photoshop. I did it with levels (I'm not exactly sure how), but it was not as easy as I thought it would be, and I still had to scrub out blue residue with the eraser. Is there any method more reliable than just messing with different settings until it goes away?

Also, any advice you could give me about making a clean transition from paper to computer would be helpful. It's something I have trouble with.

Thanks.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:52 am

Try adjust -> hue (instead of levels), and move the "lightness" slider the whole way up, for just the blues and the cyans. This effectively blasts out all the blue pencil and leaves your ink lines alone. You can even set up an "action" to do all this in one click!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:53 am

This is a good reminder for me to post my Amulet in-depth tutorial soon. Neil is right. Just blow out the lightness to 100 on the blue channel in the hue/saturation adjust and that should do it.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:18 am

Kazu wrote:This is a good reminder for me to post my Amulet in-depth tutorial soon.
That would be swell *nudge, nudge*. I loved your Copper tutorial and am pretty interested to see how it differs from your GN work.
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Here's a different method that might be worth a try:
When I finish inking my comics, I usually don't even bother with much erasing. I go to Kinko's, or another copy shop. They have a roller machine they put the paper through that makes a scan. You can have this scaled down to whatever size you want. The BEST part is that the copy comes out in pure black and white, showing only the contour lines. The blue doesn't show up, and you can scan the copy onto your home computer very easily. :wink:

-Steven C.

Frank Stockton

8 steps to remove the BLUE

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 am

8 steps to getting the blue out:

1) scan in the artwork in RGB
2) go into the CHANNELS PALETTE
3) click on the BLUE channel (using RGB). You'll notice that now your blue lines are ALL GONE! Excellent, now let's preserve this channel.
4) adjust LEVELS on this channel if you want your lines darker or your paper whiter or whatever. *note* if your blue lines aren't the "right" blue that disappears on this channel, you can go back into the regular image and adjust the HUE/SATURATION until it's the proper color, which should be a minor change if a change at all.
5) DRAG the blue channel down to the bottom of the CHANNELS pallete to the button with an "o" made of dots. This selects the image information that you see right now.
6) SELECT INVERSE
7) NEW LAYER
8) FILL (you'll probably want black)

Now I'll usually go back into the layers, fill the original color scan with white and merge the new layer with the filled background. Simplemente~!

This actually takes almost no time at all, probably a total of 20-30 seconds per image, and is E-Z!

can't wait to see Kazu's tutorial as well,.

ciao

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Batalla

Post by Batalla » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:59 pm

If you're feeling really brave, you can turn up the contrast a bit and then go to Threshold and set it to 128. It's one of the fastest ways but you'll need to do some touching up on the line art.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:05 pm

I do what Kazu and neil do - turn the lightness all the way up on blue and cyan in Hue/Saturation. It seems to be the quickest.
I keep a sketchblog here