Time for Page Creation Process?

General Discussion
smaragddrache

Time for Page Creation Process?

Post by smaragddrache » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Hey all, I have kind of a broad question. How long, on average, does it take for you to create a comic page from start to finish (i.e. from sketch to finished/print ready)? It takes me an inordinate amount of time, which I attribute to my lack of experience, but I don't know if it really is inordinate or not. Any thoughts would be great!

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:06 pm

From Death Til Now takes me somewhere between five to ten hours to finish a page depending on the complexity. But I work at a pretty small size and since I've been working on it for over a year I've built up a system that's working pretty well right now. Before that, who knows how long it took me.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:12 pm

I once clocked myself at 14 hours for a page. But it varies, especially if the page is not in colour or a smaller size.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm not quite pro, but I was just talking about this with someone so...

Since I have to have my project finished by a set date, the schedule I'm on is something like this: 4-6 pages a week penciled and inked (a page a day depending on my freelance gigs). Day seven of the week is for me to clean and scan the week's pages, add balloons, dialog and grey tones.

Pencils and inks take me five to nine hours depending on the action of the page (not counting the many times I might pencil a page, ink part of it and then toss it out part way through). Scanning, balloons and greys take me about two to four hours a page depending on complexity (and whether I rewrite the dialog to fit the action). If I have to color an inked page, well, that can take a good ten to twelve hours... I have no idea how other artists work, but if I stick to this I might actually hit my february deadline. Ha. Right.

An example of a color page of mine that took about 7 hours from start to finish (pencils through digital ink): http://angeldevilland.deviantart.com/art/Fight-70991063

I think making pages just takes a long time, especially is you are working on your own without the benefit of inkers or background artists or colorists... I am dreaming of the day I get a colorist.

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Thank you for all of your input! Okay, so I'm not just doing something incorrectly or the long way 'round. I haven't timed myself yet, but it definitely seems like the better part of a couple days at the moment. Thank you for showing me examples of what can take hours and hours. Another question: is it faster to ink digitally or manually? My drawing style is fairly cartoony, lots of curves, so I'm not sure which way to go. Both ways are difficult and slow right now. I have a tablet, and am still getting used to it, so that doesn't help, but should I just be focusing my digital energies on coloring?

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:15 pm

Everyone is different, but for me digital color takes longer then coloring with inks, but I prefer working on the computer because of the options it gives me (not to mention scanning color work is a pain). From what I understand, upgrading from tablet to Cintiq might speed me up a little, and so that is what I'm likely to do in the future. I ink on paper and then clean it up in Photoshop and Illustrator, neither of which adds much extra time to the inking process.

Go with what makes you the most comfortable, or do a little of both and see what results you like best.

One more thing on speed of pages, etc... the more you do, the faster you'll get.