Amulet Is Indeed Out

General Discussion
willmj

Post by willmj » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:48 am

Hey Kazu my son Fin who is 7 is reading Amulet. He bought it with his christmas money and has been carrying it around with him where ever we go! :D

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 pm

Well, I got my copy a while ago, and...what can I say? I was disappointed. I expected more of Kazu than the standard "fantasy adventure with kids" plot. It reads almost like a computer game--it mostly consists of a succession of perils that have to be overcome, with a little Harry Potter magic-drama thrown in. Besides the not-very-intriguing plot, I also found the characters flat. The main heroine--we barely know her. All we find out from the story is that 1) she suffered a great personal loss a few years ago, and 2)she's more daring than her little brother (who doesn't have much defining him except to be his sister's less-daring counterpart.)
Now normally I'd put this down to expecting too much of a short (relatively short) little comic book. But this is Kazu Kibuishi. His prior work has led me to expect more, not just another Harry Potter knock-off.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:19 pm

Heh. I just saw Amulet for sale in the book section of my local supermarket. This has got to be a good thing for comics in general and kids' comics in particular. How many comics, how many books have such a wide distribution? Bone needed some company and now it's got it!
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:21 pm

The supermarket! It's where I used to go to get my very first comics. This is the best news I've heard in a while. :D

Og

Post by Og » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:22 pm

You deserve it, Kazu. It's good stuff and the world needs easy access to more good stuff.
ImageImage

arkadia

Post by arkadia » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I managed to pick up the soft cover version the other day and I was not disappointed. That prologue definitely tugged at the heart strings a bit there. It's amazing how much of a transformation this has gone through since I first saw a couple of the pages you had finished. Good luck with the next book, I'm looking forward to it ;)

patdzon

Post by patdzon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:03 am

Kazu, you are a genius! I just finished reading it, and I can't wait for the sequel!

Prankster

Post by Prankster » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:17 pm

I just reviewed this at Rack Raids. Hope it didn't come off as more critical than I intended, it is a four-star (or -viking) rating after all.
Check out my comics and stuff at Phantasmic Tales.