Amulet Is Indeed Out

General Discussion
Reagan

Post by Reagan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:27 am

I haven't found it yet, but I didn't think until now to check the kids' sections of the bookstores. Will try again soon!!

Man I so can't wait to have this in my lap. I've been waiting for this for a long time now.

nemu

Post by nemu » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:40 am

The moment I heard it might be out, Kitsy and I went searching for it We found it and I didn't put it down until I was finished reading the whole thing! Then we wrote a review of the book to turn some of our readers on to this masterpiece :-)

Review is located here.

Great work Kazu, Amy and all of the folks that helped out on the book. I'm very excited for Amulet Volume 2!
Smiles to Go! - http://www.nemu-nemu.com/

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Scott and Audra> Thanks guys! :D

bclark

Post by bclark » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:40 pm

I got the Amulet hardcover today. Very impressed just with the printing, etc. Read it right away. I love it! Incredible stuff, Kazu. Can't wait for 2!
"An intellectual is a man who says something simple in a difficulty way. An artist is a man who says something difficult in a simple way."
-Charles Bukowski

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:49 am

I finally picked up mine on the 26th after the holiday rush. It was in the Kids GN section at my local Barnes & Noble. I'm throughly enjoying it Kazu.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

Cities

Post by Cities » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:04 am

Got it from Barnes and Noble yesterday. Read it in one sitting and loved it :) One of the most fantastically well drawn youth comics I've ever seen. Very good job, Kazu.

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:31 pm

Well I got my full-color edition yesterday.

The pre-release copy I got last summer took me about an hour to get through, and it wasn't much different this time around, but you were right, Kazu, the experience was very different :)

On my second run through I was able to pace things differently, pay attention to details, and empathize more with the characters, who are all distinct and wonderfully fleshed out. I picked up things I didn't see on my first read. I always love books where that happens.

I'm really excited for volume 2.

also, I would like to submit "LATCH!" as the best sound effect ever.

great work, Kazu :D

tpiro

Post by tpiro » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:28 am

Amazing comic. Great action sequences. Get it now on Amazon.com where it is a great price.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:19 pm

Over at: http://www.penny-arcade.com/ Gabe posted this:
Mon, December 31 2007 - 10:39 AM
by: Gabe

I read Amulet over the weekend (don't believe the date on his site, it is already in stores) and if you are a fan of comics I suggest you do the same. I don't want to say too much about it. I think that Kazu is one of the most talented individuals working in comics today. With Amulet he has created something timeless.
Got my hardcover & I showed the book to a friend @ the store and he bought it. :D

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 am

I finally got my copy last night and read the whole thing as soon as I got home! Although I had a hard time finding it at Barns and Nobles too. The colors alone were worth the price I paid for the book and the story was super fun. Great job Kazu, I can't wait for volume 2.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:48 pm

Took long enough, but I finally got my copy. It's good. I like it. Though... I think I actually prefer Daisy Kutter. :oops: But that may only be because Daisy is a complete standalone story, while this is only chapter one of Amulet. I will say this- the first dozen or so pages? Daaaaaamn. I honestly don't think I've ever read a comic that managed to pack so much emotion in so early in a story. You've hooked me, that's for sure. And the colouring! You've really raised the bar on that one.

Because someone already brought it up, I also really like the dimensions of the book (the same size as Bone, isn't it?) It's a much more comforting size than your standard superhero book. Make more soon!

sethos

Post by sethos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:39 am

when will this be available through Diamond? I preordered it from my local store (it's a lot faster getting it via my store than waiting for a dutch bookstore to get it - if they even get it at all.), and I'm getting jealous here 8)

Og

Post by Og » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:56 am

I tried and tried at my local comics shop. No dice, not scheduled for delivery for a month through Diamond.

Amazon got it for me the next day: Hardcover or Paperback

This is a really fun read, very cinematic, and I particularly like the coloring. Quite an achievement. All that hard work was worth it, Kazu (and his mighty band of flatters...)

Fun, too, that I can read a book like this and then jot off a note to the guy who wrote it like this. Fun world we live in...

Well done, Kazu. Book 2 can't get here soon enough!
ImageImage

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:38 am

Wow, what an amazing, strong, fast paced graphic novel! One of the best I've ever read in my life. It's right up there with Bone and Herobear in my opinion.

Kazu, you're sense of pacing and animation in the book is awesome. The characters are brilliant, the story is superb and the art is beautiful. It all comes together to bring one of the best stories I've ever read.

I'm so hyped now to see the city in this mysterious land and follow the adventures of these mystical, solid characters that I have grown to love. I'm just starting to wonder now who the Elf King is? But if you answered that it would spoil it obviously :D

My only gripe of the whole book I can really see was that there were no chapters in the book and so reading it in small ammounts wasn't very easily possible (which wasn't a bother for me as I read the whole of the second half at once :D), was there a reason why you had no chapters in the book?

Overall, a masterpiece that is sure to have Disney knocking at your door in no time. I loved it Kazu, and I can't wait for Amulet 2 and the rest of the series...

yellowc

Post by yellowc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:03 am

I also had to register to make a comment :)

My recommendation came from Gabe at PA, I didn't really have any idea what I was ordering but anything Gabe considers "timeless" had to be half-decent at least right? I've always felt quite in tune with his tastes in the past.

All I can say is I have absolutely fallen in love with Kazu's work, just brilliant. I can't express it in words but "timeless" is a fair description, the artwork just...I dunno...feels, if that makes any sense. Highly recommended for anyone and everyone, I bought the hardcover but I think I'll pick up the paperback to be the communal copy.

I also have read Copper online and it is has in a very short space of time become one of my favourite works. I simply must own "Transit" in print for framing (but gosh the international shipping price is steep! $35 for a $20 item!). I'll have to get my fix from the Flight books (in order) for the time being :)

Thank you Kazu, keep up the excellent work, I hope one day I'll be showing Amulet to my children :P