Amulet Is Indeed Out

General Discussion
angry_black_guy

Post by angry_black_guy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:13 pm

But it doesn't really belong in it's location. Barnes and Nobles has it scrunched on the bottom shelf wedged between some picture book and Captain Underpants. It's not even on the "graphic novels for kids" shelf like Bone and W.I.T.C.H. are. In fact, every "family oriented" comic book like Amelia Rules is facing outward so you can see the cover but Amulet is just collecting dust in a corner no one would bother looking.

If I didn't know the book was out, I would have never saw it... unless I was looking for Captain Underpants and hoping that the offchance of seeing "Amulet" in bright yellow letters would catch my eye. Since it's Schoolastic, they probably make most of their money from those obnoxious book order flyers they hand out at elementary schools (fun fact: i used to use them as toilet paper when i was a kid!) but in a book store, it's in a useless spot. The people who would actually enjoy the book more are that group of preteens that sit on the floor reading manga all day but never actually buying anything or the Hot Topic goths that flock over to the latest overpriced reprint of Sandman.

...Maybe I am a lil' overzealous in my goal of getting everyone I possibly can to read this.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:55 am

I'm with you on the actual presentation of the shelving. I was surpised it wasn't like up on top in that little display rack they put on top shelves now to show off the cool new products. It was just nestled down at the bottom. It however was in the kids graphic novel section at my store. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find it there. I didn't even know that a kids graphic novel section existed! It really encouraged me. I dunno, I just shop online for this stuff usually.

On a side, Kazu, I told my wife she should read Amulet since she writes kids books and she loved it! She's all upset now that she has to wait for the next one. Aren't we all... 8)

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:51 am

Well, I read through it and it's fantastic.

As for the placement, the Barnes and Noble I went to, it was on the top shelf section of the kids graphic novels. Along with Bone, Captain Underpants, and Pokemon. Unless there was another section I didn't see, it was a really small comic section. *shrug*

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:24 pm

That's where it is in B&N? I looked in the regular GN area (where all the Flight books are) with no luck I guess on my next trip I'll look in the kids section.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Got a copy of Amulet at my local Chapters. However, even though the computer had 16 copies of it in the store, there were none on display anywhere. They had to literally search for the book. After a good 30 minutes between 3 employees searching for it, they finally found it in the back hidden away.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:40 pm

I had to form a search party as well; then they refused to open the shipment, so I went to another Borders! Maybe there's some confusion because it's early. That was the impression I got.

In Borders, it's stocked in the "independent readers-pop culture" section of the childrens' books (while Flight is usually over in Graphic Novels) so I assume it would be in a corresponding location at Barnes & Noble.

Oh and there's a coupon you can get here:
http://visitborders.com
(The value of the coupon varies from time to time.) I like this price point because I can actually go to a store and grab it, since there's no big difference from ordering it online! Although now I wish I had ordered that hardcover. 8)

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:33 pm

The hardback is pretty tight yo.

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:59 am

angry_black_guy wrote:But it doesn't really belong in it's location. Barnes and Nobles has it scrunched on the bottom shelf wedged between some picture book and Captain Underpants. It's not even on the "graphic novels for kids" shelf like Bone and W.I.T.C.H. are. In fact, every "family oriented" comic book like Amelia Rules is facing outward so you can see the cover but Amulet is just collecting dust in a corner no one would bother looking.

...Maybe I am a lil' overzealous in my goal of getting everyone I possibly can to read this.

Bookstores will usually only shelve things in one location. And often it's up to the store to decide that. And if the Publisher has a say they have to pick the most effective place. As an adult I can see why you'd prefer to find a book in the section you already go to. And for kids and parents it's the same. No parent wants to sift through Marvel Zombie trades and Death Note volumes in the hopes of discovering Owly, Spiralbound (which are often grouped there because Top Shelf has no pull to get into the kids section).

If you have to choose where is the more effective place to wind up: the graphic novel ghetto (niche market that is expanding mostly because of manga bought by teenagers) or the kids book section (million dollar market with rich history fueled by parents who have lots of $$$$ to spend)...it's best to aim for your target demographic.

As confusing as the kids section can be (Scholastic Graphix Books are sometimes in "favorite series") usually the graphic novel section is much worse. If you don't know anything about comics you'd be hard pressed to understand what themes or genres books are categorized by. Many stores throw in Role Playing manuals to the same shelf just for lack of space. Granted stores are getting much better lately. But it's still a long way from being inviting to casual readers.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:15 pm

I signed up for this forum for the sole reason of posting my opinion on this wonderful piece of work...
LOL :) I also registered here just to post on this.

I work at a Chapters - until the end of the month, anyway. We do list the book in the 9-12 Graphic Novels section, with books like Bone. I made sure the book was prominently displayed on the shelf and on the endcap (the end of the shelf facing the aisle) the moment our receiver got it in the store. As soon as a book is received, the computer will list it as being in the store. However, received doesn't mean on the shelf immediately.

I pre-ordered the hardcover and have bought 2 paperbacks for Christmas presents. I'm so excited it's hitting stores in time for Christmas! All I can say to those stores who are being slow to get it on their shelves... hurry it up!

I'm glad you went with Scholastic. The hardcover is quite nice (I wish the Flight books were in hardcover) and even the paperbacks are pretty decent too, the glossy pages are great. The book size is a little small but not so that it detracts, it is perfect for curling up with on a rainy day and the low price is definitely a win.

What I love about Amulet - and it's some of the same things I love about Flight, Bone, Mouse Guard, and other titles - is that it's not just storytelling as in today's comics industry of narration and so many word balloons. The focus is much more on the illustrations which tell the story by depicting movement from panel to panel often without word balloons. I'm a huge fan of old adventure games from companies like Sierra and LucasArts and what I love about Amulet is that you've captured so much of the fun, excitement, wonder, discovery, puzzles, characters, etc. of those types of games that were based around story and those things. It is so refreshing to find unique projects like Amulet that delight in the magic of story. I have to say that I love the characters so far, especially Miskit (what a great name!). I especially love the environments in this story and I'm definitely drawn into the narrative through the images and colour. I think you're a genius of visual storytelling and that with Flight and now with Amulet, you are creating the classics of children's literature for the next generation. Keep up the amazing work man, and I hope a lot of success is coming your way with this project especially and that you enjoy it - you definitely deserve it.

PS> I can't wait for a collected book of Copper! Please, please include the Flight Copper stories as well so that it's one big ultimate goodie bag of Copper. Please put in a section with sketches and stuff too!

Brandon.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. This thread is becoming one big ego boost! Heheh. I'll definitely need it to help me climb up the mountain of work ahead, but I am super pumped to get back to the drawing table after spending these past two weeks in Japan.

It's unfortunate that some stores aren't displaying the books well, but I'd rather the book find an audience over time than to be pushed heavily and then disappear. In short, it's all good. Amulet 2 is going to kick some ass. :D

agent44

Post by agent44 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:28 am

I found my copy at Borders right next to Bone, faced out, top shelf. Doesn't get much better than that.

DarkMarc

Post by DarkMarc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:27 am

I can't find it yet :cry:

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:53 pm

I loved it! Awesome work, I can't wait for the next one.

It was inspirational. I also picked up Daisy Kutter for the first time - I'm so behind, but I loved that too.
I keep a sketchblog here

Mario Estioko

Post by Mario Estioko » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:25 pm

I found it buried in the Independent Reader/Pop Culture corner at Borders, but I suppose as more people need help finding it, bookstores will be more apt to turn it "cover-forward" on the shelf.

Beautiful work, Kazu. My daughters have all read it now (each one in hour sitting) and are clamoring for the next installment. Isn't it interesting how you can take time going over all the details of the work and revisiting/re-editing/refining/weaving, and then people can consume it so quickly. It's like a fine song that people can enjoy on the radio, but never think of the hours of creation, process and practice that went into its making. Well, I'm sure all of us on these threads fully appreciate the labor and patience that was put forth. Great job.

Merry Christmas all,
Mario

PS>> Kazu, just FYI: my daughters ages are 9, 11, and 13; and they really like Em as the heroine.
~mE

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:03 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. And I just saw the hardcover for the first time. It's pretty awesome. :D