Remembering Disney Adventures comics.....

General Discussion
LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Remembering Disney Adventures comics.....

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Cancelled. That sucks.

I remember picking this magazine up all the time when I was in elementary school. Or to be precise, bugging my mother to buy it for me when we were on a grocery run. :D

I gave them all away when I reached high school, and I kind of regret it now. I never would have thought I'd develop an interest in all ages comics after college, so it'd be nice to have some reading material to look back on for reference or nostalgia's sake.

I loved the Ducktales comics as well as the Talespin ones. I actually liked them a lot more than the cartoons. Well, actually the cartoons were fun in the adventure department. The comics were just a lot more funnier.

Don Karnage portrayed in the Talespin comics always cracked me up.

When Baloo and Kit drop a load of manure on Karnage and his pirates after escaping, his pirates groan at the terrible stench. Karnage throws a tantrum screaming...

"This is not fair!!!! I have never lived on a farm!!!!!"

I cannot believe I still remember that comic.
Remember to breathe.....

TK

Post by TK » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:02 pm

DA was where I first saw Bone! ...and learned about Vikings and their deities, but that's neither here nor there.

That's true, too; the comics were much funnier. Made for a different audience, probably—slightly older kids, I'd guess. What with the whole 'reading' part and all. :) I still have at least one issue kicking around (probably the Viking one, haha).

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:20 pm

I was introduced to DA as an artist, and not a reader, since I was unfamiliar with the magazine until about three years ago. When Disney Adventures contacted me to do some comics, they (along with Nick Magazine) were among the first clients that paid me well for comics work. Before that, I had come to expect little to no payment for doing comics, as if I had to pay for the luxury of doing them. Even my college paper would pay me a great deal less for my comics than they would for my editorial illustrations, despite the fact that the comics took me at least 3 times as long to produce. Anyway, after my DA and Nick Magazine experience, it set a standard in my mind for what comics artists deserve to be paid, and I vowed that I would get the Flight artists paid as much or more in the future. One thing that the American comics scene needs is better self-esteem, and DA was one of the places that helped me be more confident with my own career as a comic book artist.