Mike Wieringo

General Discussion
Rad Sechrist

Mike Wieringo

Post by Rad Sechrist » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:26 am

Mike Wieringo passed away of a heart attack this weekend. Mike is the reason I got into comics. I saw his Tellos comic in college and thought it was the coolest art work I'd ever seen. He's still one of my favorite artist and I was always excited to see his work. And if anyone got to know him through the drawingboard, he was a super nice guy.

marco

Post by marco » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 am

he was just one of the most talented guys out there...nicest too.
his blog was such a part of my daily routine. really horrible news.
marco-magallanes.blogspot.com/

Michel Gagne

Post by Michel Gagne » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:13 am

I enjoyed Mike's work as well. His run with Mark Waid on Fantastic Four was great. This is very sad.

Vince

Post by Vince » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 am

I can't say I knew him really well, but I saw his posts on the Drawing Board and he seemed like a very encouraging, considerate person. I like to think that good souls live on, and that he is still drawing.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:31 am

I was following his Tellos work and sketches over on Deviant Art, on top of so many other great sketches he kept posting pretty much daily. I didn't really follow his work on more super heroes books.
He had so many projects...talented, friendly.
He will be missed.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:52 am

I only briefly exchanged a few emails with Mike over the years, but I always got the impression he was a good guy with a big heart. He will be missed.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:56 am

this is really sad news and breaks my heart. his family will be in my prayers.

Sebastian Agresti

Post by Sebastian Agresti » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:20 pm

One of the artists why I wanted to go into cartooning and drawing, always very sad to see talentend young people die. I wish the best to his family and friends.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm

This was depressing to hear. I hope his loved ones find comfort in his extensive influence.
ImageImageImageImage

Azad

Post by Azad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:48 pm

I never met him, but I had a tremendous amount of respect for him. I have an issue of DRAW magazine somewhere around here with a feature on him with pacges of pencils. A truly great draughtsman!
Friend to all small creatures everywhere (felines need not apply)

http://www.guerrilla-comics.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/cubicz

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:46 pm

I never had the chance to interact with Mike, but I was a big fan of his work. He always seemed to have a general willingness to help others get better and a real passion for comics. Really sad news.

Andre Szy

Post by Andre Szy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:34 pm

This was so sad and sudden. I really wish i had met him, his work was so inspirational.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 am

Just heard the news today.. Absolutely terrible. Mike was an inspiration of mine way back when. His Tellos comics were something I wished I could work on.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 am

I'm put in shock really about this. Mike's work has been something that has inspired me, gotten me back in back into the field of drawing a comic and his sudden death... I can't even put my thoughts into words. I'm truly heartbroken to hear this news.

Something that made me ashamed of myself and smile was reading his final post and seeing him talk about some issues arund his house. The last few days I have been going through so much stress with things around my house. I smile because Mike's words were.. ah the joys of being a homeowner and I sympathize with that remark greatly right now. I'm ashamed because this reminds me of what really matters in life. Mike will be missed. Comics has lost one of its greats. I will be praying for his friends and family during this rough time.